Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Default Workflow question: D-Control + Satellite Link

Let's say I have a D-Control in a dubbing theatre and then I have one or more PT|HD systems in nearby edit suites. In multi-mode, the D-Control can be switched to controlling any of the HD systems in the edit suites.

Does anyone use this workflow? If so, please could you give me some advice?

When you switch the D-Control between PT|HD systems how does it work in practise? Do you use a keyboard and mouse USB switcher so you can fully control the remote PT|HD systems from the D-Control? What about the monitor, do you split the monitor output of each of the remote PT|HD systems to a switcher by the D-Control, so you can view the edit window (for example) of a remote PT|HD machine from the D-Control monitor? Or, do you have a separate monitor, mouse and keyboard on a desk next to the D-Control for each remote PT|HD system? Or, is this a complete pain in the a*s to setup reliably and so no one works this way?

Thanks for any input,

G
Old 03-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Workflow question: D-Control + Satellite Link

i tested the multi mode here in studio. works very fine, you can switch between machine at any moment, without glitches ou drops. I did some few tests just to see the results, and they were ok. The monitor-mouse-keyboard issue, I read some posts that people are using a software called, Synergy. Didn't test, but I think it's the best solution, if you don't want to use KVM switches.

PT HDN 10.3.8.D-Command.HD I/O.SYNC I/O.MacPro "4,1".2.8 GHz Quad.32 Gb RAM.OS 10.7.5

PT HDN.PCIe 10.3.8.C|24.HD I/O.SYNC I/O.MacPro "4,1".2.8 GHz Quad.32 Gb RAM.OS 10.7.5

Estúdio JLS Facilidades Sonoras
São Paulo - Brazil

Old 03-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Malcangi View Post
Let's say I have a D-Control in a dubbing theatre and then I have one or more PT|HD systems in nearby edit suites. In multi-mode, the D-Control can be switched to controlling any of the HD systems in the edit suites.

Does anyone use this workflow? If so, please could you give me some advice?

When you switch the D-Control between PT|HD systems how does it work in practise? Do you use a keyboard and mouse USB switcher so you can fully control the remote PT|HD systems from the D-Control? What about the monitor, do you split the monitor output of each of the remote PT|HD systems to a switcher by the D-Control, so you can view the edit window (for example) of a remote PT|HD machine from the D-Control monitor? Or, do you have a separate monitor, mouse and keyboard on a desk next to the D-Control for each remote PT|HD system? Or, is this a complete pain in the a*s to setup reliably and so no one works this way?

Thanks for any input,

G
You use a switcher.
I know that that's exactly how they work on the "Lost" stage usign 6 PT's systems. 3 for each side

Living the dream.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:57 PM

We've done it both ways... a keyboard and mouse on the side with another monitor off to the side, but we have also used a KVM switcher. With the switcher we still had another monitor off to the side the entire time playing the other systems so you can see what's going on without switching.
If you put a keyboard off to the side, you have to remember to use the correct keyboard to use any modifiers when using the console (eg command, ctrl etc)
Old 03-27-2010, 07:38 AM

Thanks to all of you for your time and advice. It's been great in helping me decide that the D-Control with KVM Switching definitely seems to be the way to go.

Thanks again, G
Old 03-27-2010, 11:24 AM

At our place we use a fantastic bit of software called "teleport":

http://abyssoft.com/software/teleport/

We have a few monitors mounted on this: http://www.iconshelf.com/ICONSHELF/C...oles_HOME.html

The software then lets us switch mouse & keyboard control seamlessly as though each monitor were driven by the same machine.

I suggest you at least give it a try, if you already have another monitor it's a very affordable and intuitive solution.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:15 PM

Wow, that Teleport is pretty amazing!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 03-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

+1 for Teleport.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 03-28-2010, 12:11 PM

Teleport looks good, along with the IconShelf. However, in my case, the other PT|HD systems will be in different rooms to the D-Control. So, I'd have to buy extra monitors, extenders from each PT|HD system to the monitors on the D-Control and an IconShelf to put the monitors on. Do you not think it would probably be cheaper, less hassle and less real-estate to use a KVM Switcher and just the one monitor?

Cheers, G
Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD99 View Post
Wow, that Teleport is pretty amazing!
I'm DIGGIN' Teleport. big time. love it.