Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-29-2020, 07:15 AM

Default Midi to Trigger

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread as I couldn't for the life of me find something for PT8 and Mbox 3.

To cut a long story short, snce windows 10 my Silent Way stopped working and I need a new midi to trigger (or spdif to trigger). Does anyone know if Erica Midi to Trigger would work, or have any great other solutions?

Would be insanely obliged, been going crazy for hours looking for a solution.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 07-29-2020, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Midi to Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
... PT8 and Mbox 3.

To cut a long story short, snce windows 10 my Silent Way stopped working and ...
From their site:
System Requirements
The plug-in is available in 64 bit AU, AAX, & VST formats for macOS and Windows.

No RTAS for PT8. Are you trying to run PT8 on Windows 10? That combination is not supported.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 07-29-2020, 07:51 AM

Hi EGS,

I am running PT8 on Win10, which is actually supported (there's a wee update for it if not gravely mistaken), and runs with no problems outside the mentioned Silent Way one. I had an VST to RTAS converter for it (was really long ago, more details escape me). But happy to try any other moule or idea. Currently hping a midi to trigger mosule like the Erica one will be compatible with PT8, but very hard to come across info. Really wish I could just buy a new PT and mbox with no subsciption stuff.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:44 AM

Compatibility info here.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Really wish I could just buy a new PT and mbox with no subsciption stuff.
You may wish, but there is no such thing. You get 12 month update and support plan with a new license, but need to renew it while it is active. PT8 and older are DigiDesign branded software and there is no upgrade path available.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:44 AM

In any case it all works perfectly other than the plug in i mentioned, so hopefully someone has some useful tips on midi to trigger options. The modules shouldn't involve a plug in I hope so I can't see any reasons why they wouldn't but maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:01 AM

Head over to BluCatAudio and check to see if either Patchwork or MB-7 offer RTAS compatibility. If they do, they might allow you to use VST plugins. Having said that, exactly what are you wanting to do("Midi to Trigger" is ambiguous at best)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-29-2020, 10:49 AM

How are you Albee!!

Its been a long time, great to see your name! You helped me so much when I first started I can't thank you enough!! It's been fantastic to have a ten year smooth period, and here you are at the first sign of trouble since!

I'll have a look at the site you mentioned. I've also asked Erica if they could clarify if they know whether their module will have problems.

I'm basically using some modular units, mainly drum machines. So I want to get my drums into my pro tools session. So far I used midi notes and Silent Way and ES4 to convert the signal from the spdif cable to triggers which fed the drum machines. Those units don't have pads so triggers are the only way to get sound into pro tools. Perhaps if I disconnected my monitors i could use audio but i wouldn't want to lose stereo. I don't see another way to send out signal but also see no posts online about this kind of issue which means either nobody uses pro tools with modular or there is a super easy solution I'm not seeing! Hope you keeping well man!
Old 09-08-2020, 05:29 AM

Any ideas guys? Trying midi to CV now, using mutant brain but no luck again...is pro tools midi notorious for not communicating with external devices or am i doing something wrong?
Old 09-09-2020, 09:54 AM

I must admit I am still confused on what you are trying to do Are you using sounds from external hardware(drum machines)? Sending midi to them to trigger those sounds? Sending audio thru the Silent Way and using that to convert to midi? Any drum machine with a midi input should be able to be driven directly(pro tools midi track>Midi output>drum machine midi input).

Are you sequencing in the drum machines, or in Pro Tools? If in PT(which should be much more efficient), why not move to ITB sounds(In The Box)? If you just gotta have the sounds of your old hardware, I would think you could create your own sample library and load the sounds into a sample player VI like Structure. Sadly, at some point, you're going to need to advance things. Sticking with old software is severely limiting your options Even moving up to Pro Tools 11(probably cheap on the used market for a license) would allow you to use all the AAX 64 bit plugins that you can't use now
No one knows more than me about old habits

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave