Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-24-2020, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Midi is played on time but midi notes are early on play back.

Using lower buffers is not always possible.
They should really fix this bug.
I have opened a support case with AVID.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:42 PM

And another half year passed without a solution..
Old 02-20-2021, 09:41 AM

I’*m pretty sure that the midi is recorded earlier because we play earlier because of the audio latency during the recording. For example if i here the sound with a 256 sample latency, I will automaticaly play a little earlier, to compensate that latency.
It’s the same when I play on a acoustic piano, I play a few millisecond earlier to have the sound coming at the right time. We dont do that consciensously but we all do that, more or less.
I suppose that DAW like Cubase or Logic compensate this and put the Midi later, so we ear exactly the same result after the recording pass that during the recording pass.
If this is correct, I would like that Pro Tools act the same.

I will try to put a delay of the exact amount of buffer for example 256 Samples, and see if it solves the problem.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:02 AM

I confirme the «*early midi notes*» problem is because I play my keyboard a little bit earlier to ear the sound at the good place, when i’m tracking.
So the Midi notes are recorded early in the grid, as Protools receive it during the recording pass.

I note that the problem only concerns VST instruments and not external midi keyboard because these last has the same amount of audio latency during or after the record pass.

Adding MIDI OFFSET in preferences or MIDI DELAY in realtime propreties are not good solution , firstly because it make QUANTIZING unpraticable.

The solution i’ve found is moving manually the midi notes with the NUDGE Of the same value of my system buffer size. I first set the Nudge at the desired value. ( it can be done on the main Edit Window or Midi edit window or both )
After the rec pass, I select the midi clip and press + on my keyboard.

IT S THE ONLY WAY TO HEAR THE EXACT SAME THING DURING AND AFTER THE PASS.
I have to be very carefull if I do a punch In record pass, merging new notes with an already recorded and moved pass : obviously I have to move ONLY the notes of the very last pass, because I dont want to Move the same notes a second time.

QUESTION : how it works on other DAW like Cubase and Logic ?!!

Last edited by jimax; 02-23-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-23-2022, 02:44 AM

It seems they have been doing some work on the MIDI side recently, however, this bug still seems present in 2022.7. I wonder when they'll ever get around to fix this one.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
It seems they have been doing some work on the MIDI side recently, however, this bug still seems present in 2022.7. I wonder when they'll ever get around to fix this one.
Still here with 2022.9 :) What is your reported bug number so i can report to them again?

EDIT: the offset is not fixed, unfortunately, from what i can see recording a vi to a midi and audio track at the same time.... but two times the buffer size seems close (midi is 2x128 samples early)

cMP 2 x 3,46, 128GB Ram
Monterey 12.7.2
Metric Halo 2d 2882 I/O
Lucid 88192 with Blue Sky 5.1 monitoring
10gbE ethernet with True Nas storage

Last edited by resonatee; 09-30-2022 at 12:38 PM.