Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Audio Record or Playback Volume Error Info

Hi, I am having the same problem.... "no valid audio volume" error. I just installed the new 6.9 to my Powerbook running Tiger OS 6.4. My Glyph external HD isn't being recognized by PT? It shows up on the desktop & I can click on it and see all the old sessions and audio files in it.
I read your advise & did use Disk Utilities and do the "permissions" to the Mac drive and check the Glyph too! Both are recognizied. I tried the other suggestion, on another POST too: "Go to your window menu

Open Work Browser (Here you will see all your mounted drives)

Next to where it says "kind" you should see some letters, R (Record), P (Playback)or T (Transfer)

Click on the letter for each drive you have and change this to either playback or record." I tried that also..... no luck!

I get the same promped message " Glyph is not a valid audio volume" ?????
I did have the iLock key plugged in & the Glyph external HD hooked up firewire wise, when I did the INSTALL. Was that OK? I did read ALL the instructions.... I didn't see anything there that said (unplug those). So should I try and un-install and start over? Now here's something different..... after installing.... and when I did my FIRST LAUNCH (ProTools didn't ask for my registration number in the cover) for validation? So I believe something strange has happened? Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:35 AM

Hi, I did try all that this morning.... going to the workspace process and trying to assign my external drive to (R), but I get the same message. "not a valid audio volume" I did check with Disk Utilities... and permission for the Mac's internal HD & check the external Glyph HD. Everything showed up OK.
When I installed the 6.9 update, I was installing over an older version 6.4. Would that be a problem? Plus, I had everything, iLock and the Glyph external HD hooked up too......should they have been dissconnected for the INSTALL? Just curious why it's not recognizing the Glyph (where all my older 6.4 sessions were done using the external FW Glyph HD?????? Thanks for your time. I hope to get this up and running. Oh, I did download the sample demo session... and it looked like it went to the Glyph, but when I open up the Glyph, I see ALL the old files and the older "Salvation Demo" from the first time I installed PT 6.2.2., but I don't think I see the NEW DEMO that came on the 6.9 update CD???? I'm lost. Help.
p.s. I keep looking for answers on other "posts", but I've tried everything instead of un-installing/deleting data bases. Maybe that would help. ProTools is pretty picky... it seems. But I thought I'd let you know..... I have a NEW Powerbook G4 with OS 6.4 Tiger (which I used a firewire to transfer all my info from other G4 Powerbook) maybe some conflicting info from the older PT "databases"....... I don't know. But again, thanks for your time.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:44 AM

I would suggest more Digi help, since I've gone through the same situation as all previous posts. The key point you had mentioned was the firewire transfer of all previous drive data from your old computer to the new one. I can still access all PT sessions and volumes from my old computer. Both the internal and firewire drives show up with all "R"s in the workspace area on my old computer. As soon as I hook up the new one, neither drive (internal or firewire) is allowed to be a valid audio drive in the workspace. This also leads me to believe that reformatting is not the answer. There is obviously some "handshake" that is not in place allowing any drive to be recognized as audio-viable on our newer computers. Please help, Digi!
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 07-17-2005, 02:00 PM

Have you emailed Digi yet.... about this same problem?
When I checked my Glyph External HD (using Disk Utilities) it showed that the Glyph 80 gig HD was ( OSX Extended Formated) ...too. That was an issue mentioned in one of the posts. So that's OK & shouldn't be an issue.
I think I'll have to un plug everything and "uninstall PT" and re-install??? And all the LE Plug-in Suite! A pain the ____, if that's what I have to do... I do it. But I'll wait, I waited this long... My old Powerbook (G4 OSX 10.3.8, running PT 6.4...which PT worked fine) was defective, (a different problem) so I got this replacement Powerbook with Tiger.
I downloaded also (at the time of the 6.9 Uppgrade, install to update the drivers for Pace (for iLock Key).
Oh, did I mention I didn't even get PROMPTED FOR VALIDATION, on the first LAUNCH? So that's weird too! Soooooooooo I'll have to wait till the weekend is over for Digi support. But these DUC Forums are great! Thanks for your input!
p.s. I wonder if jumping from 6.4 version to the upgraded 6.9 version... was to big of a jump? I wasn't using 6.7 before going to 6.9? Who knows?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:16 PM

I think I just figured out my problem,,,,,,the answer, was on the Digi site of course! Duh! But I think I answered my own question and maybe yours possibly, if you don't have PT 6.7 on your older computer. Here's what they said!

"The Pro Tools LE 6.9 Update requires Pro Tools LE 6.7 software for Pro Tools LE systems, which must already be installed on your computer"

well I didn't have 6.7! I wonder if I'll have to get a copy of 6.7, & move up slowly.... or uninstall the 6.9 that was installed over my old 6.4....and start over...with a copy of 6.7 first? Sooooo I'll have wait and see what they.... say Monday.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:18 PM

Digi always warned about going to 6.7 after 6.4 and then to 6.9. I did the normal progression and still have the problem as well....so I don't think this was the primary reason. I will email Digi and will keep you posted. Thanks for the response.
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 07-17-2005, 06:11 PM

OK...I'm having the same record error message...repaired permissions...didn't work....won't let me change to R...getting extremely frustrated.....using Apple 17" laptop G4, external hard drive 250 gb, Mbox...help?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:05 AM

Hi,
I'm having the same problem - new G5 (dual 2.7GHz), maxtor 300g (OS extended format). Tried all the stuff mentioned above, no luck. It's a fresh install of 6.7, with the 6.9 upgrade over that. I can't do anything because both the external maxtor and the internal drive on the g5 are "not audio drives".
any further suggestions digi??

thanks,
Steve
Dublin
Old 07-18-2005, 09:32 AM

I didn't have 6.7 installed on my PowerBook before upgrading to 6.9 and it's working well. There is a little asterisk next to the 6.9 requirements dialog, it says that 6.9 cds are available for users who didn't have 6.7 installed, it may be worth checking which version yours is. Also, when you open ProTools is it definitely opening 6.9? It seems strange that you were not asked for a validation, I certainly was.
Good luck.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:43 PM

so i'm having a similiar problem with audio record volume settings...

when i try to switch from audio into record mode, it doesn't register my hard drive as a proper recording destination, and i can't find any protools settings when i open it up. what should i be looking for to make it record enabled? need help asap; recording projects are hinging on this damn problem.

cheers, rygar
Closed Thread