Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2012, 06:12 PM

Default Problems importing video

I have never worked with video before in Pro Tools, and have just received a video with a request that I write some music for it. From what I understand, the video was edited in Adobe Premiere, and is an mp4 file, 640x480, 29.97 fps, and I believe is H.264. When I import it into PT 10, the audio is extracted properly onto a new audio track, and the individual video frames appear in a new video track. However, in the PT Video Window it says "No Movie Present." I have spent several hours trying to get the video to play without success, and have not been able to discern the solution from reading the manual. Should I ask the client to resend the video in a different frame rate and codec? Any direction in this matter would be appreciated.

MSI X99A SLI Plus LGA2011, i7 5930 3.5 GHZ 6 core 12 threads, Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4 2400MHZ, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, LG 16x Blu-ray writer, Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD for OS, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD for samples, four WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 6Gb/s 7,200 RPM drives (audio, samples, video x 2), EVGA Supernova 750W G2 PSU, Corsair Cooling Hydro H100I V2, W 10 Pro, 4 TB WD USB3 external backup, PT 2020.5, IK Sampletank 4 Max, AIR IEP, Wavelab Pro 10, RME Fireface UFX w USB2 connection.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Problems importing video

Yes, have them try a different codec. I get the same thing from time to time. Imports but won't play. H.264 is usually fine but certain choices they make when they compress it can make it incompatible. Not sure which things. Just have them try something different. Wish I could be more specific but I don't understand the video side very well.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Thanks for your response David. I asked the client to resend the video with a different frame rate (23.976) but it did not play either in Pro Tools. It would be helpful if someone could advise what codec, frame rate, etc that is known to work in Pro Tools 10.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Check your video is online. little circle button next to Blocks/frames option box should be blue.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Thanks Ceri. Yes, I had checked that.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Great, well then to answer your question:

DV based formats works well (DV PAL, DV NTSC, DVC Pro etc), H264 tends to work okay for most things but you need to have a keyframe every frame, Avid's DNXHD36 will work very smoothly but the files tend to be much larger. PhotoJPEG also works well.

Not sure I've ever worked with a file from Premiere (at least not consciously) but if all else fails from the picture department try exporting either from Quicktime or MPEG Streamclip to one of the previously listed formats.

Hope this helps,

Ceri
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Thanks again Ceri. I've now had some measure of success, not with the client's video as yet, but at least to know that the issue does not appear to lie with Pro Tools per se. As Windows 7 comes with a sample video, I thought I’d try and see if it would play in Pro Tools. Voila! It imported without a problem, extracted the audio portion onto a track, and played in the Video Window. That video is a .wmv file, with a frame rate of 29.97 fps, time code of 29.97, and used a Video Compression of WVCI according to the Pro Tools Workspace. I have relayed this new information to the client and hopefully he will be able to export his video in that format.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 PM

hang on, you have installed Quicktime 7, yessum?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 AM

PT can handle any frame rate and time code format. The incompatibilities come from different compression schemes (is that the right word?). When they go to output the movie, they can choose from dozens or maybe even hundreds of formatting options. Some are compatible with PT and some aren't. It's much more complex than just DV vs. H.264 vs. whatever all else. Some DV is compatible, some isn't. Some H.264 is compatible, some isn't. It would be nice if there were a list of what is compatible but maybe the situation is too complicated to allow for that. It's mighty confusing to me.

{Update:} The last two posts in this thread on the Video Help forum seem helpful. I just now looked at the export options in FCP/Compressor. Bewildering array. Who knows what combinations of encoder, compression algorithm, color algorithm, field dominance, pixel aspect ratio, anamorphic or not, streaming hints enabled or not, etc. are compatible? With any given end use. That's why, when I get one that won't play, I just tell them try a different setting. It usually works second time.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Thanks Buccanears - I had updated to the latest version of Quicktime, and the client's videos played without a problem in the standalone module of Quicktime, but not within Pro Tools.

David - yes, bewildering is an appropriate description of the array of options for encoding video. As you indicated, it would be helpful to be able to tell a client an encoding formula that is common to the major video editors on the market that you know would work in Pro Tools. It would save everyone a lot of time and frustration.