Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 07-13-2018, 04:45 AM

Default Session file backups

I have a lot of crashes in PT recently and so I need my session files backups. Can anyone explain why does PT doesn't make auto backups for such a long time against preferences? I've just lost a crucial part of mix

As my uploaded screenshot is pretty low res - previous auto backup was at 12:18 and PT carashed at 12.34 so there was 15 min without any backups
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 12.39.05.jpg (7.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 12.40.42.png (12.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-13-2018, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Session file backups

any chance they went to a different folder location? I've never heard of this happening before so it's perplexing given your settings should create backups every one minute. does this only happen if you have all these crashes? as in if the session is working as normal, check your session back up folder and see if it is creating backups at the proper intervals then, BEFORE any crashes happen

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76
Old 07-13-2018, 11:30 AM

I also find sometimes that ProTools is not always backing up every minute (I'm set the same, but with 99 backups) but not able to pinpoint the scenarios where it doesn't behave, although in my case, I would say this is fairly rare (but does happen!).

What IS happening for me, is that when ProTools DOES crash, the session file backup is usually very small compared to all the other backups, and is, of course, corrupt. It seems like the actual process of doing Session File Backups is what is CAUSING ProTools to crash...

I'm working on an internal cluster of 4, 4TB drives in a 'stripe of mirrors' config (basically, RAID-10) using Apple's software RAID. It's not high performance at all, but it gives me 2-out-of-4 disk redundancy. I don't need it to be high performance because I'm working from Disk Cache 99.9% of the time, and I like having big time reduncancy.

Is it possible that your situation is also caused by a potential bottleneck in the OS and disk access?

I'm considering my next move, which may involve a high performance 10GBit NAS...
Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzo View Post
any chance they went to a different folder location? I've never heard of this happening before so it's perplexing given your settings should create backups every one minute. does this only happen if you have all these crashes? as in if the session is working as normal, check your session back up folder and see if it is creating backups at the proper intervals then, BEFORE any crashes happen
No chance they're in different location. Although I set it to keep 20 recent backup files, I have all 795 in that folder. I change session name from time to time adding number at the end but still I have more than a hundred files under one name. As you can eventually see on the picture, there's 2 min gap between earlier backups which is against settings as well. I was aware of that behaviour and was accepting that as I explained it to myself 'it only makes backup copy if I make some changes and if I'm only listening for 3 min there is no need to build a new file' but this time was very different.