Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Default How to transfer sessions recorded on my Mac system to my PC system

Hi everyone,

I have spent the past few weeks recording Jazz workshops on my new on site system based around a MBP, and it really works great ... However ... now I would like to go over a few pieces with my four core PC system that I have in my personal studio ... but how do I go about doing it ... if it is even possible ... after doing a search, I found really nothing on the subject and I haven't been able to find it in the included manuals so, I came here to see if any of you knew ... so, a little help ... please ...
Old 05-08-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Re: How to transfer sessions recorded on my Mac system to my PC system

If you're using a MBP, I would assume that you have your sessions on a firewire drive. The pc version of Pro Tools comes with HFS+ disk support. Once you have it installed, all you have to do is attach the firewire drive to the pc. I prefer to drag the session off to an internal drive rather than leave it on the firewire. I have had some issues in the past where running a session on the HFS+ drive on the pc was problematic.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-08-2010, 12:15 PM

(Jimmy and I were posting at the same time... many of the same points)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedtourguy View Post
Hi everyone,

I have spent the past few weeks recording Jazz workshops on my new on site system based around a MBP, and it really works great ... However ... now I would like to go over a few pieces with my four core PC system that I have in my personal studio ... but how do I go about doing it ... if it is even possible ... after doing a search, I found really nothing on the subject and I haven't been able to find it in the included manuals so, I came here to see if any of you knew ... so, a little help ... please ...
The easiest way, is to get an external drive, that's formatted FAT32, and copy the sessions from your Mac, onto that drive, then open the sessions from that drive on your PC.

Use the "Save Session Copy" feature to be safe - if they are just tracking sessions with no elastic Audio, you're even best to save the Session Copies as v6.9 sessions with "Mac/PC Compatibility" CHECKED (I have no ideas what version of PT you're running on your PC - this will eliminate most problems, regardless of your version (Unless you're 5.3.1 on an 001 or something, in which case, do the same thing, but instead of 6.9, select v5 etc...)

There is also MacDrive for your PC, or later versions of ProTools, on PC, "I believe" include a MacDisk reading Install option for Pro-Tools. I'm not sure if this is a "Paid Option" someone else can chime in.

Free, easiest, is to use a FAT32 volume, as both your MAC and PC can read and write to this volume.

You could also Burn your Session Copies to DVD on your Mac, if you don't have a FAT32 drive kicking around.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Thanks, I will have to find the HFS+ file and use it ... and yes, you were correct I am using a firwire drive, a Glyph 062e to be exact ... let me go find the installer pkg and see it the file you mention is there ...

Thanks again,

CTG
Old 05-08-2010, 01:03 PM

we do it here all the time with a thumb drive, just copy to the drive and then onto your pc and open. Thumbs are formatted FAT32 and you can get a 16 gig for about $30.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
If you're using a MBP, I would assume that you have your sessions on a firewire drive. The pc version of Pro Tools comes with HFS+ disk support. Once you have it installed, all you have to do is attach the firewire drive to the pc. I prefer to drag the session off to an internal drive rather than leave it on the firewire. I have had some issues in the past where running a session on the HFS+ drive on the pc was problematic.
Okay so I thought HFS+ was a software pkg one had to install, but after looking for it I reread that part of the manual and saw it was part of the PT 8 LE install pkg, so I plug my drive in and ... nothing ... I see in my device mgr (control panel - system - hardware - device mgr) that the Glyph is just some unknown device ... because it is used with my Mac of course ... so how does one get HFS+ to work so I can transfer the files ... and I am sure I am missing something simple that keep reading over and over but it just isn't registering so ... point it out, okay ... Thanks again ...

CTG
Old 05-08-2010, 01:38 PM

Went back and did and modify install of PT and and understood immediately what I had to do ... It's an option to be checked during the install process ... so I checked it and away we go ... Thanks again for all the help and it is all working just fine now ...

CTG