Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 10-13-2010, 02:34 PM

Default Command8 -vs- MC Mix?

Hi All,

I'm looking for a controller for PT LE, Logic, and Ableton.

Any opinions on the Command8 / MC Mix?

..How well does Command8 integrate with Logic/Ableton?

..Does Command8 have any advantage over MC Mix for use with PT LE?

thanks,
B
Old 10-13-2010, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Command8 -vs- MC Mix?

Bendy,

I am a PTHD user but have also been digging more into LOGIC, DP, and especially FINAL CUT. I had a CONTROL24 and was at this crossroads myself in needing another control surface system. The reality is that there really isn't much out there to consider if you're not a PT user. Unfortunately Mackie has not been able to deliver their Mackie Control for some time and the only other player was Euphonix with the ARTIST SERIES. I was debating about going this direction but when I learned that AVID was buying EUPHONIX, it only made sense to me to go this route. I decided to buy (1) MC CONTROL V2, (3) MC MIX, and an MC TRANSPORT. Although right now it's HUI, you're going to see better integration of the EUCON support into PT, after all why would Avid have bought them? ;-) I absolutely LOVE this setup, don't regret it for a second, and strongly advise my own clients to go this way.

The Command8 is a cool product, but it is very limited in that you can NOT expand it. The Euphonix stuff is good, very good---works wonderful with those other programs and great with ProTools either LE or HD. And it will only get better! I've not used it with LIVE but I have used with LOGIC and it's wonderful there! I am doing A LOT of video work these days, I don't know how I ever got along without the MC CONTROL V2 using Final Cut.

The only advantage that the Command8 has over the Euphonix is plugin control but again, that is GOING TO CHANGE!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 AM

Thanks Brad.
That's some great info!

It does make sense that Avid would develop their new product (Euphonix) to surpass their older products like Command8.
So it makes sense that plug-in control will probably improve for Euphonix.

I was unaware that the Command8 cannot be expanded.
In the absence of any other big advantage over the Euphonix I would have to rule out the Command8 in favor of expandability.

By the way,
how is the plug-in control with the MC Mix?
Is it generally bad, or just not as good with PT as the Command8?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:12 AM

Well it's HUI basically, which gives you limited level of control. It doesn't layout well or shall I say "in a way that always makes sense" and it only shows so much. Again, I expect this to happen by the end of the year.....basically where EUCON is built directly into ProTools and NOT using HUI. EUCON stands for Euphonix Control, programs like Logic already have it will implemented. It also knows what program you're controlling so if you tab between applications or bootup them separately, it knows. Another aspect if you were on the PC side of things (since I didn't ask) is that this line from Euphonix did NOT support Windows because of an agreement they had with Apple. However since they are owned by AVID, Windows support is not far away. SO if you're a Windows user this will work "soon".
Old 10-17-2010, 02:45 PM

Looking into the MC Control as an option also...

Has version2 fixed the screen flicker issue?

Also are the faders on the v2 still out of alignment with those on the MC Mix? If so, is that confusing in practice?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Well the V2 of the MC Control has a new LED screen which is much brighter and evenly distributed lighting. The previous model had a few darkspots and yes, some screen issues. I believe that is really what you're referring to? As to the faders, I believe there is a way to adjust those as only (4) faders---I'm positive actually, I've not had that issue.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM

They need to get Eucon Going really fast.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Thank you for the review on the MC Mix and Transport, I came to the forum to search for info before purchasing.

Just a little correction of the terms according to the new PT 9 user guide, EUCON stands for Extended User Control, just thought i'd chip this in.

Thanks again for this review.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 AM

Command 8 user here. Great with PT. Sits idol when in Logic. Would be nice if someone was able to get the Command to work with other apps. I guess these people think we're made of money. Should be a matter of 1's and 0's right.

Common Avid or Digi or Euphonix or MC or Eucon or whatever your calling yourself. Help out the thousands of Command 8 owners please. And please do that fix on the leopard platform PT 8 also, and not just the snow leopard with PT v9 or the up and coming Tiger.....please.

thank you
Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=BradLyons;

The only advantage that the Command8 has over the Euphonix is plugin control but again, that is GOING TO CHANGE! [/QUOTE]

Ok, so now that we've got PT9, how well does the MC series control plugins?