Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 08:29 AM

Default Re: How to use a windows output with interface input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepssj View Post
I really really really appreciate your help guys, especially YYR123!!

And i'm sorry if i'm making some grammar mistakes but english isn't my primary language.

So the best thing i could possibly do is to buy some output to use with my interface right? I have a audiobox USB and it has 3 p10 outputs ( i don't know if its p10 in english but it's that usual guitar cable entry), two of them being right and left and other one being "phone".

My main concern here is if i there is a phone that has that p10 male cable, usually phones have only that small p2. i had really bad experiences using that p10/p2 conversors and now i don't know what to do?

What you guys think?

Again thanks for the help!
I'm taking a wild leap here extrapolating from the 'usual guitar cable entry' and guessing that p10 is a 1/4 inch connection and that p2 is the smaller 1/8 inch connector now just about universal on headphones whether super expensive ones used in a studio to the cheapest used with a cell phone or such. I hate those connector adapters because like you I've had them come apart. A couple of times I was able to take apart the equipment part of the adapter fell into but there's one I still haven't fixed after all these years and that's the one on my mixing console. I got mad enough that I changed out the small connector on my headphones to a true 1/4 inch connector so no more adapter. I've only seen one headphone mentioned in a magazine review that had a 1/4 inch connector in the last year.

The 'left' and 'right' connectors are to go to powered monitor speakers and the other connector is for headphones with the larger 1/4 inch connector. You would be well served, if you have the money and a decent room to work in, to get a pair of powered monitor speakers. JBL LSR305's are a good inexpensive speaker with a nice wide sweet spot. If you go for headphones there are excellent choices from Sony and AKG that are quite affordable. A word of warning - unless they changed them stay away from the AKG 712 cvans - they have an over-hyped high end; I know because I have a pair. Much prefer their predecessor 702's instead (which I still have).

QAPLA!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:45 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone_connector

Yes the Main Outputs are 1/4'' balanced cable to your studio speakers.

like this....

the phones output is a stereo 1/4'' connection....

and uses one of these

I think the idea is to buy a solid product and you won't have any issues with degradation.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I'll not dispute what you say but there's something to be said for not living on the bleeding edge of technology. I play many instruments but keys are one of my main instruments so I'm a little sensitive to what I see in concerts and videos. Ever notice that keyboardists never seem to use the latest version of whatever instrument they play? I see a lot of 1st/2nd/3rd generation Motifs and I think I've only seen one 4th generation. I'm thinking known stability and reliability are what drives this. Same thing with Macs and the parts they use.
That is a beautiful example of "false equivalence"

Go listen to Jordan Rudess if you want to see a keyboardist on the cutting edge.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-25-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I'm taking a wild leap here extrapolating from the 'usual guitar cable entry' and guessing that p10 is a 1/4 inch connection and that p2 is the smaller 1/8 inch connector now just about universal on headphones whether super expensive ones used in a studio to the cheapest used with a cell phone or such. I hate those connector adapters because like you I've had them come apart. A couple of times I was able to take apart the equipment part of the adapter fell into but there's one I still haven't fixed after all these years and that's the one on my mixing console. I got mad enough that I changed out the small connector on my headphones to a true 1/4 inch connector so no more adapter. I've only seen one headphone mentioned in a magazine review that had a 1/4 inch connector in the last year.

The 'left' and 'right' connectors are to go to powered monitor speakers and the other connector is for headphones with the larger 1/4 inch connector. You would be well served, if you have the money and a decent room to work in, to get a pair of powered monitor speakers. JBL LSR305's are a good inexpensive speaker with a nice wide sweet spot. If you go for headphones there are excellent choices from Sony and AKG that are quite affordable. A word of warning - unless they changed them stay away from the AKG 712 cvans - they have an over-hyped high end; I know because I have a pair. Much prefer their predecessor 702's instead (which I still have).
Thanks for your answer!

I don't think i need these monitor speakers cause i ll only record voice and i can't have the music playing on them while i'm recording, only in my phone. I think i ll do what you did, i ll turn my 1/8 phone into a 1/4.

The thing that get's me pissed off is why the hell all interfaces has 1/4 phone outputs if there isn't a single phone with that connection size????

Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
That is a beautiful example of "false equivalence"

Go listen to Jordan Rudess if you want to see a keyboardist on the cutting edge.
Jordan will use anything from anyone that will give him free gear. He has no brand loyalty and if it's a new gadget he's all over it like stink on cheese. Remember when he was hot over the Haaken Continuum? That didn't last that long for him.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Jordan will use anything . . . He has no brand loyalty . . .
That does it. I'm trashing the Kurzweil.
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 04-26-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
That does it. I'm trashing the Kurzweil.
Which one you got? I'll take it off your hands - I love the K's key action on their 88 key boards.

QAPLA!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepssj View Post
The thing that get's me pissed off is why the hell all interfaces has 1/4 phone outputs if there isn't a single phone with that connection size????
Not true. Professional grade headphones, like the Sennheiser HD380 Pro - which I highly recommend - come with a 1/4 connection which usually can be removed to use the 1/8 connection.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-27-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Not true. Professional grade headphones, like the Sennheiser HD380 Pro - which I highly recommend - come with a 1/4 connection which usually can be removed to use the 1/8 connection.
You're missing the point - the headphone itself does NOT have a 1/4 inch connection - it's via an adapter and those adapters have been known to come apart. Not to mention the connection going bad. Most adapters are just a slip on and not a screw on although that's a poor excuse. It should really be the other way around and the cans have a true 1/4 inch connection with an adapter so some fool can use those high-priced cans for his/her iPhone

QAPLA!