Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2010, 08:14 PM

Unhappy Switching from REAPER to Pro Tools. Frustration

Hey guys, so basically, I am trying to switch over to pro tools from Reaper since I am going to school for production and the DAW we use at school is pro tools. I have been finding the switch pretty difficult, not because pro tools is hard to use or anything but because of performance issues. I have pro tools 8.01 M powered with the pro fire 2626 and at first I had none stop clicks and pops with one imported audio track i had from school. I had no plug ins on and I was getting major pops and cracks. I was then told to download an update (8.01) while launching pro tools today and that pretty much fixed the problem for me 90%. Now it isnt constant pops or crackles, its pretty smooth but at least once or twice during the whole play back of any audio file it freezes for one second and does a huge crackle/pop/smear sounding thing. I also noticed that Pro tools is very slow. If I drag another window within protools while audio is playing, it lags and teleports instead of smoothly moving. I also tried to apply some D-verb and when i clicked on preview, it froze for 3 seconds then played the audio while previewing. In reaper, i can do all of these things with out any problem at all, no lag, nothing. Also while i tried to change the buffer settings and mess with some stuff to see if i could get a fix my whole computer froze and everytime i clicked on something (mouse or keyboard) I got a bunch of beeps comming from my tower. I had to shut down my computer manually twice because of this problem. Im finding it very frustrating to switch from Reaper to pro tools and just want things to go right. Supposedly this is the industry standard software right? Why was reaper so easy and friendly while pro tools is being so unreasonable? I'd figure this would be better than reaper but im not getting any love from pro tools. At school it runs perfectly fine and amazing and they have those little tiny macs that fit in your pocket running pro tools 8!!!! I am beyong frustrated.

P.S. I already followed Digidesigns guide to optimizing Vista for pro tools. No luck after that either
HPCore2 Quad Q6600/2.4 Ghz Intel ViiV Technology,[Cache Memory]L2 Cache 8Mb,[Mainboard]IntelP965 Express(Data Bus Speed)1066MHz,[RAM]3GbDDR2 SDRAM,[Storage Controller Type]1.0xSerial ATAIntegrated[Storage Controller Type 2]1 x IDE Integrated,2x320Gb Standard ATA300 7200 RPM Hitachi Drives,[CD]Samsung SHS222A/BEBE DVDRW,[TV]Digital&Ana,[Graphics]BMGGeForce9400 GT512MbDDR2PCI,[OS]MS Vista Home Premium32,[Firewire]Dynex 3port FireWire/IEEE1394 PCI Card,[Sound]Sound Card IntegratedHigh Def Audio
Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Switching from REAPER to Pro Tools. Frustration

Just from my experience with vista unfortunately I probably won't be able to help you, but I ended up on a vista machine going into msconfig and disabling pretty much every non microsoft startup item which did help a little bit and uninstalled certain programs I had that seemed to cause "conflict" with PT. Vista is a resource hog IMO so I have since gone back to XP and soon will move to W7 64 when they release a more stable version. BTW are you running IE8?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso7r View Post
Just from my experience with vista unfortunately I probably won't be able to help you, but I ended up on a vista machine going into msconfig and disabling pretty much every non microsoft startup item which did help a little bit and uninstalled certain programs I had that seemed to cause "conflict" with PT. Vista is a resource hog IMO so I have since gone back to XP and soon will move to W7 64 when they release a more stable version. BTW are you running IE8?
Thank you for the quick reply! I have already disabled pretty much everything on MSCONFIG and it didnt do too much difference for me. How do you check which programs are interfering with PT? And Yes I am running IE8. Ever since I installed it my Explorer.exe crashes sometimes on start up. weird...
HPCore2 Quad Q6600/2.4 Ghz Intel ViiV Technology,[Cache Memory]L2 Cache 8Mb,[Mainboard]IntelP965 Express(Data Bus Speed)1066MHz,[RAM]3GbDDR2 SDRAM,[Storage Controller Type]1.0xSerial ATAIntegrated[Storage Controller Type 2]1 x IDE Integrated,2x320Gb Standard ATA300 7200 RPM Hitachi Drives,[CD]Samsung SHS222A/BEBE DVDRW,[TV]Digital&Ana,[Graphics]BMGGeForce9400 GT512MbDDR2PCI,[OS]MS Vista Home Premium32,[Firewire]Dynex 3port FireWire/IEEE1394 PCI Card,[Sound]Sound Card IntegratedHigh Def Audio
Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 PM

Have you seen this?

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=243185

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 PM

At this point follow Tom's link and reinstall PT afterwards including the microsoft c++ redistributable if asked.