Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Intermittent Automation Problems

I'm an occasional user of Pro Tools to mix simple commercials, generally with music and a voice.

However I have a repeated problem with automation - during playback from the beginning of an ad it seems to forget the automation volume written into the track and appears high.

This generally happens after I have reached the end of the ad i.e. I undertake repeated takes in touch mode on sections of the voice until it is peaking at 6 and not overpeaking.

However when I then go to play back from the beginning, its as if it hasn't been mixed properly, and is worst than when I started! This isn't the way I left it, but I haven't revisted this section of the ad since it was right.

Also, another issue (which I think could be related):

When opening a completed mix by another user this also played very high when I played it back and yet it was also mixed correctly! This happened when I simply opened the session and pressed play with automation in read mode so I am unsure what I'm doing wrong.

This repeatedly happens intermittently to me and I'm sure it's a simple thing but not sure what.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Intermittent Automation Problems

Check that Automation is not "Suspended"

Check that you have volume automation enabled to be written to.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:48 AM

If you are on a Pro Toos|24 MIX system using version 6.4.1, please make sure you have updated to the latest cs version -

http://archive.digidesign.com/download/cs/641cs4/mac/

Please let us know your system configuration.

Hope this helps

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 07-21-2007, 08:53 AM

Hi Danny

Thanks for your reply.

I'm on Pro Tools TDM 7.3(.2 I think) on a G5 Power PC linked to a Yamaha surface controller/desk. I believe the system is up to date patches wise etc.

Laki,

I believe I have the volume automation set and haven't changed the 'Suspended' settings tho I will double check this on Monday. It'd an odd issue as it happens intermittently and our Dubbing Mixer doesn't have this problem and we are both failing to see what I am doing wrong!

Thanks everyone