Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2019, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Who invented the dynamic EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
In most dynamic EQīs that Iīve worked with, you have a threshold that determines when the EQ curve will start to be boosted or cut depending on the setting, but despite you having a cut or boost at the chosen frequency curves, you donīt have a compression ratio, which is one of the basic principles of compression. So youīre just cutting or boosting as in a normal EQ, with the difference that the process is automated by the threshold, with some plugins also having an attack and release setting etc.
Now my question is why it doesn't have a ratio knob? Is it because it's considered not relevant enough in Dynamic EQs or just impossible to implement? For what I understand, the difference between a dynamic EQ and a multiband compressor is the placement of the detection circuit, which being independent from the signal path in the case of the dynamic EQ it make possible to avoid splitting the signal with the multiband, but from this I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to add a ratio control.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Now my question is why it doesn't have a ratio knob? Is it because it's considered not relevant enough in Dynamic EQs or just impossible to implement? For what I understand, the difference between a dynamic EQ and a multiband compressor is the placement of the detection circuit, which being independent from the signal path in the case of the dynamic EQ it make possible to avoid splitting the signal with the multiband, but from this I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to add a ratio control.
It doesnīt have a ratio knob, because itīs not the intended use. Itīs not supposed to be an EQ that compresses. The intended use for a dynamic EQ is to apply boost or cut on a given curve, depending on the value of the incoming signal, hence the threshold. In a non dynamic EQ, the curve with itīs corresponding boost or cut is always applied, independent of the input signal strenght. In a dynamic EQ, the amount of boost or cut varies depending on the value of that input. For instance, you may have some frequencies that you want to cut. Those frequencies may be a problem at a higher level but may not pose a problem at low level. By applying a dynamic EQ with the appropriate threshold level, youīre able to do that, like an invisible hand that is cutting more or less depending on signal.

Similarly, compressors were invented for the purpose of automating the ride of levels, hence the ratio control, but they were not invented to drive the amount of cutting or boosting frequencies. So itīs two diferent products.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 11-04-2019, 04:29 AM

The HOFA IQ-EQ has a ratio knob. It's an eq that can also do dynamic eq as well as regular eq work. Each of it's 6 bands when used in dyn mode has a threshold, attack, release and ratio controls.

QAPLA!
Old 11-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The HOFA IQ-EQ has a ratio knob. It's an eq that can also do dynamic eq as well as regular eq work. Each of it's 6 bands when used in dyn mode has a threshold, attack, release and ratio controls.
Indeed, but itīs not a simple dynamic EQ, it has a builtin compressor as well per each of the available bands. Thatīs why they have the Ratio setting.

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 11-04-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Indeed, but itīs not a simple dynamic EQ, it has a builtin compressor as well per each of the available bands. Thatīs why they have the Ratio setting.
But that compressor turns it into an dynamic eq.

QAPLA!
Old 11-04-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
But that compressor turns it into an dynamic eq.
Well, I see it as the other way around. They added a compressor to the dynamic EQ module. A simple dynamic EQ doesnīt need a compressor to make it dynamic.

Compression and expansion on a compressor does not necessarily mean cut or boost respectively in a dynamic EQ.

Hey, but this is my interpretation from the dynamic EQīs Iīve worked so far.
I never tried the Hofa, but went to check the features youīve mentioned, so that I could make a comment. Maybe Iīve got it wrong just by reading.

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 11-05-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Well, I see it as the other way around. They added a compressor to the dynamic EQ module. A simple dynamic EQ doesnīt need a compressor to make it dynamic.

Compression and expansion on a compressor does not necessarily mean cut or boost respectively in a dynamic EQ.

Hey, but this is my interpretation from the dynamic EQīs Iīve worked so far.
I never tried the Hofa, but went to check the features youīve mentioned, so that I could make a comment. Maybe Iīve got it wrong just by reading.
You need some kind of compression/expansion to have a dynamic eq. A dynamic eq compresses/lowers a frequency or frequency band when a certain level of said frequency is reached. Or raises it depending on what mode you're working in.

What compressors have you worked on so I/we can figure out where you're coming from.

QAPLA!
Old 11-05-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
You need some kind of compression/expansion to have a dynamic eq. A dynamic eq compresses/lowers a frequency or frequency band when a certain level of said frequency is reached. Or raises it depending on what mode you're working in.

What compressors have you worked on so I/we can figure out where you're coming from.
Where I come from? Look, Iīve worked with many compressors over the years, from hardware to software. The thread was about who invented dynamic EQ. I donīt have an idea about that. Along this thread I made a comment on the inclusion of compression in a dynamic EQ and I mentioned that it was based on my experience only. Right or wrong. So far, the ones Iīve used didnīt have any ratio control or compression. You said Hofa has it. Good. Then I remembered that Sonnox has it too. But the way it behaves is not the same of a typical compressor. So, thatīs it, I expressed an opinion, you expressed yours. Fine. Letīs move along...

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 11-05-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Where I come from? Look, Iīve worked with many compressors over the years, from hardware to software. The thread was about who invented dynamic EQ. I donīt have an idea about that. Along this thread I made a comment on the inclusion of compression in a dynamic EQ and I mentioned that it was based on my experience only. Right or wrong. So far, the ones Iīve used didnīt have any ratio control or compression. You said Hofa has it. Good. Then I remembered that Sonnox has it too. But the way it behaves is not the same of a typical compressor. So, thatīs it, I expressed an opinion, you expressed yours. Fine. Letīs move along...
I don't think Jack was questioning your background, he only wanted to know what tools you used to form your idea of dynamic eqs. I think we all appreciate your contributions to the thread. I personally don't think the difference is the ratio know, that's more like a developer's choice. In my opinion the real difference is that in a dynamic EQ you can interchange the order of the bands while in multiband that's impossible, this is due to the detector being independent from the signal path in the dynamic EQ.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I don't think Jack was questioning your background, he only wanted to know what tools you used to form your idea of dynamic eqs. I think we all appreciate your contributions to the thread. I personally don't think the difference is the ratio know, that's more like a developer's choice. In my opinion the real difference is that in a dynamic EQ you can interchange the order of the bands while in multiband that's impossible, this is due to the detector being independent from the signal path in the dynamic EQ.
Exactly what is was getting at. Without knowing what plugins or hardware paul m is using or had used it's impossible to see where he got his ideas on dynamic eq's. He may be right and I may be wrong but I/we would benefit from seeing what he's used. No ding meany against paulo at all.

As far as the difference between a dynamic eq and multiband compression to me it seems to stem from how one picks a frequency: you pick a center frequency and a Q factor in a dynamic eq and in multiband compressor you pick an upper and lower boundary and a slope. I'm referencing Fabfilter Pro Q3 and their multiband compressor here. There's been a whole lot of bits/bytes spilled over the differences between the two type of plugins here and elsewheres on the net.

QAPLA!