Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2013, 02:05 PM

Default Clip Gained crossfades to AAF bug

Hi -

I have really embraced clip gain as a mixing methodology for music prelay, but am having an issue sending AAFs over to the Avid guys. For the most part, I have music cues clip gained to -16db to sit under production and VO, with the occasional +/- move to keep everything steady. Avid editors are saying that the rendered frame accurate fade regions are 16db below everything else. Is this expected behavior or a bug? Suggested work arounds? Obviously ditching clip gain, but I hate to give it up if it can be made to work.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Clip Gained crossfades to AAF bug

What happens if you open those same AAF´s in PT again? Do they exibit the same problem?

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 08-24-2013, 11:40 AM

I'm not sure if I'm fully understanding your question correctly. So you are saying that there are music cues coming from your AAF that have clip gained dips across crossfades that were created from the editors?

I find clip gained music cues easier to mix if the clip gain was either set to one consistent level for the entire cue, or coalesced to volume automation.

control+shift+B to clear clip gain.

Edit>Automation>Coalesce Clip Gain to Volume Automation to convert clip gain to volume.

-Justin

Last edited by JWalkerPostAudio; 08-25-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Avid

Are you checking Enforce Avid Compatibility? What version of Media Composer?

When EAC is checked, PT will render any clip gained clips that are +/-12dB, because MC only supports up to +/-12dB of clip gain. Cross fades are always rendered. So, if you check EAC, everything should get rendered and you should be good.