Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 09:04 PM

Default Anyone have timing inconsistencies with Mach 5?

I'm running PT 7.1cs4 on a G5 dual 2.5g with 4gig of ram.
Mach 5 version 1.2.3
When programming a track (drums) with Mach 5, I record quantized MIDI, then record that track to audio. After laying down as little as two tracks (hi hat and kick drum), I can look at the audio and see differences in where the sounds are triggered. For example, in one bar the kick may be a little ahead of the hat, and in another bar on the same beat it will be behind.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Anyone have timing inconsistencies with Mach 5?

Hi,

See a difference between the midi and audio would be explained by bouncing with ADC on! but to see some notes ahead and some behind is quite bizarre! what playback buffer are you using? does this happen all the time and on all sessions? or on one specific session? does this happen with all program/samples or one specific program in Mack 5.

I use Mack 5 on 7.1cs6 and haven't noticed any timing problems! but i haven't looked that closely!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:51 PM

Thanks for responding Chris. My playback buffer is set to 256 samples. I can't tell if it happens all the time. I've just been feeling like my tracks are not quite as tight as they should be since I've been programming entirely on PT, so I did a couple of (not very thorough) tests and found the problems I mentioned. Please let me know if you find anything out. Also, what's ADC?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for responding Chris. My playback buffer is set to 256 samples. I can't tell if it happens all the time. I've just been feeling like my tracks are not quite as tight as they should be since I've been programming entirely on PT, so I did a couple of (not very thorough) tests and found the problems I mentioned. Please let me know if you find anything out. Also, what's ADC?
Hi,

ADC is automatic delay compensation. this automatically adjust each tracks delay in relationship with the delay caused by using plugins on each track! under options you can turn ADC on or off!

You need to look and see if you have it turned on or off? if you want all your tracks to play in time with plugins inserted then you'll need to have this turned on? unless you want to manually adjust each track.

When using ADC, you need to turn it off when you bounce the midi to audio.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:19 PM

I have also noticed some timing issues with Pro Tools and soft synths, most notably Stylus. It is rock solid in Logic, but pretty lame in Pro Tools. Absolutely worse than my Mix running 5.1.1. Of course, I wasn't running any soft synths with my old system. Is anything happening to fix this bug? And it's not just latency, because the timing errors are inconsistant.

Steve
Old 05-04-2006, 08:26 PM

I have noticed that putting Sychronic on an Instrument Track gives a tighter sound than inserting it on an Aux. Maybe this would also apply to Mach 5 and other soft synths.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:01 PM

Thanks, I just didn't recognize the abbreviation.
I see you on here all the time-what (in your opinion) are my chances of getting Digi to address this problem? Is there a procedure for submitting issues to them? I just want a stable system that I don't have to second-guess. It seems like there is an emphasis on features over reliable performance. It sure would be nice if basic sequencing functions worked properly.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:55 PM

The best way to get help directly from Digi is to be in front of your PT rig and call Digi support. If your system is out of the warrantee period I think you have to pay a fee to get telephone support.

Quote:
It seems like there is an emphasis on features over reliable performance.
I can see how you must feel this way but I totally dissagree with you on this point. I think Pro Tools is Very Reliable and Very Rock Solid. The emphasis being on Reliable Performance over tons of Features.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks, I just didn't recognize the abbreviation.
I see you on here all the time-what (in your opinion) are my chances of getting Digi to address this problem? Is there a procedure for submitting issues to them? I just want a stable system that I don't have to second-guess. It seems like there is an emphasis on features over reliable performance. It sure would be nice if basic sequencing functions worked properly.
Bug Report Form

Tech Support Request Form
Old 05-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Avid

I should mention that some plug-ins may exhibit timing issues depending on which version of Pro Tools the plug-in was developed for. Ones that have been updated for Pro Tools 7 should have very consistent and accurate timing. Ones that were created using older SDK's may exhibit more timing issues. Digidesign is working with developers to get softsynth plug-ins updated as quickly as possible but, in some cases, this may take longer than everyone would like.