Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Loading audio from source DATs for film project

Ok, I hope this isn't too basic of a question to ask here. If it is, please don't laugh at me...

I'm beginning a project, where the Avid editors are supplying an OMF for me to import into Protools. I've discovered that the audio they are giving me is the camera audio, which isn't the best quality. I have source DATs, which have the sound recordist's separated lav and boom audio.

What's the easiest way for me to load all this audio from the DATs, so it simply replaces the audio already present in the session? Is there an automated method for doing this? Can I do it simply with the OMF or do I need to request an EDL from the editors?

I can't imagine I'm the first one presented with this problem, so there must me some way to do it. I can't find anything from within Protools, so there might be some 3rd party software that might do the trick...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Blake
Old 02-20-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Loading audio from source DATs for film project

There was a product called PostConform from Digidesign, its OS9 only. It rebuilds a sesion from an EDL. Note it wont work on OSX.
The easiest way would be to bring a DAT machine (If the DATs have time code to the Avid bay and have the assistant editor recompose the sequence with your new audio, and OMF it back to you.

The other way would be for you to hand sync all the edits yourself from the EDL.

I have a personal workaround: I use either Final Cut Pro or Avid Express Pro, have the editor give me a decomposed sequence, and have either FCP or AXPro recompose (batch digitize), then I OMF it out and import into Protools. This is good for up to 4 tracks at a time.
Both of the above softwares have machine 9 pin control builtin, and work with Coreaudio in order to use the Digidesign hardware as an interface.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Loading audio from source DATs for film projec

Check if the DAT tapes have any timecode.
If no: --> handsync (easier in PT than in AVID)
If yes: check if camera and sound did sync their timecode generators.
If no: --> handsync
If yes: workaround as suggested by DIAFXMX, and you will still need some luck!

Greetings
Florian
Old 02-20-2005, 05:08 PM

I have built an app for doing just this.

you load all your DATs and then feed the program the EDL/s.
it will rebuild the OMF with the original source material.

it's not exactly fit for public release but I could get a version together if there is enough interest.
show of hands?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:47 PM

That would entail loading too much data, and take too much time.

What we all need is a good program that loads only what is needed from the EDL with handles!! What PostConform USED to do but without glitches!!!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 07:26 PM

Quote:

What we all need is a good program that loads only what is needed from the EDL with handles!! What PostConform USED to do but without glitches!!!!!
Yes! I'm not moving to HD until this comes to fruition!
Old 02-21-2005, 05:12 AM

It should not be forgotten that with either an Avid variant or FCP you will need a seriously expensive video interface with DIGITAL audio in/out. Unless online editing is something you are already doing it is unlikely that you can afford one. What we need is for Digi to release their long-promised new bug free digitize and conform tool, which MUST take advantage of 192IOs as well as video interfaces, or better yet, some cooperation to allow our 192IOs to be used within Xpress Pro and FCP.

Unfortunately, Blake is out of luck and will probably be doing some "handy work."
Old 02-21-2005, 05:29 AM

Wow! I'm really quite surprised that this doesn't exist already. I was honestly expecting a reply telling me "You need this Whizbang Gizmo software, it'll do exactly what you need."

I guess for now I'll go for it the hard way, and I'll be sending Digi some emails pushing for an automated method in a future release.

Thanks for the responses.

- Blake
Old 02-21-2005, 05:36 AM

Hmm... shortly after posting this reply, I decided to do a Google search for "Protools auto conform" ... has anyone ever used Titan?

It looks like it might be just what we're looking for. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:20 AM

Titan is a standalone offline process. It will not let you load tapes.
It is geared for conforming pre-loaded files, usually from disc-recorders, to an EDL.
Won't help you much.
It's also got a titanic price tag.

Cheers
Florian