Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2023, 02:58 PM

Default MIDI/Delay Compensation bug in 2023.9?

Pro Tools 2023.9 on a 2018 Intel Mac Mini running 10.15.7.

Every time I instantiate a MIDI instrument (any MIDI instrument) I get 2,000+ samples of delay compensation showing up on every other track in the session, even though the track with the MIDI instrument instantiated on it shows zero samples of plug-in delay.

Playback buffer is at 64 samples. Master fader shows no delay compensation.

Anybody else experiencing this? Some new checkbox I need to un-check?
Old 10-02-2023, 03:43 PM

Default Re: MIDI/Delay Compensation bug in 2023.9?

I am not a MIDI/VI person so others may have better advice... but...

Not seeing any problem like that, but there are known problems that you can hit.

What Pro Tools version did you come from? (some known latency/ADC bugs were introduced in the last few years, I forget exactly when right now).

What is the session sample rate? If this is a problem related to the disk playback buffers (one of the known problems) you expect to get latency of some multiple of 1024 or 2048 samples (depending on sample rate).

What exact latency is ADC saying without any other plugins e.g. disable (not bypass) any plugins besides the VI.

Are you using sends or H/W inserts in this signal routing?

Can you reproduce this with trivial routing, say starting with a new totally empty session? and adding an audio track and a VI track (two tracks so they can keep time against each other.

Make sure ignore errors is not checked, and leave it not checked (there was is a small interface I/O latency (not ADC latency) error caused by that, I have not checked if this was fixed in 2023.9 yet, but it was not noted as fixed in the release notes).

Try unchecking Low latency Monitoring or checking it and see if that changes any ADC/latency behavior, that's checking for another known bug which maybe might manifest in different ways.

If you can reproduce this in a simple session, post screenshots of the mix window showing IO inserts etc. so we can see the routing. Post them on a file or photo sharing site and post a link to that on DUC.. the image attachment downsizing on DUC makes any attached large image useless.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-02-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2023, 01:53 AM

Yes, experiencing that exact issue. "Instrument Track"s in my session are showing up without the same delay compensation that are on my audio tracks, resulting in out-of-sync playback.
Old 10-13-2023, 09:37 AM

Try to route the output of that instrument track into an aux bus, somehow it fixes the sync. At least, that's what I do when there's a tempo synced plugin that goes out. Hope it helps!

The problem is if you want to play with that instrument, as you'll have latency playing. Pick your poison lol
Old 10-16-2023, 12:07 PM

Since PT2023.9 I'm having the same problem. With PT 2023.6 all is well.
The problem always occurs here, if I commit an instrument track with "Hide and Make Inactive" and later decide to change something on the original instrument track and making it active again.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 11-05-2023, 04:30 PM

I'm having the same thing. If I reactivate plugin for 1 track, It won't fix the issue. But if I reactivate across all track somehow fixes it.

I hope someone from Avid notice this.

https://youtu.be/RW6NJijvl9Y
Old 11-05-2023, 06:27 PM

Nice video, always help make stuff clear.

Would you be able to create a technical support case for this problem and include a link there to the video? (and a simple description and maybe link to this thread) That should help make sure this is visible to Avid. (Info on opening a support case: https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...-Case-Creation)

I'm also curios if this relates to some other problems I've seen (I am suspecting not, but... ) so will spend more time playing with it myself.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:59 PM

Done. Let's see what they say.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:30 AM

I am not sure this is the same thing but I'm seeing a problem where I can't edit accurately when time aligning say bass notes in midi with an acoustic guitar in audio. The midi doesn't show up accurately on the grid lines in the track view. If I open the midi editor all the bass notes are on the grid but in the track view (with both the midi and audio side by side) they don't align, the midi notes are before or after the grid in that view. You can't accurately edit the audio to match midi.

Sorry if this is a different issue. Running at 192khz and going to drop to 96 to see if the problem goes away.