Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2015, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Please Avid We All Really Want You to Be Successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
...and the biggest bully should get your lunch money, right?

I'm in no way defending Avid, but I don't like it when someone says they're not listening (because they are).

There are few official Avid people posting here and lots of "more vocal" people DEMANDING answers to issues that may have not been officially decided yet.

That's where us mods are, between you (us users) and Avid, and the more vocal you are about this the harder it is for us to filter all of that and ask Avid for answers.

Marianna posted on a thread that she will post some answers but then her next comment was (if my memory serves me right) that the thread was moving so fast she couldn't answer them all. So that's the effect of being more vocal. Asking the same question ten times isn't going to produce ten times the answers, it is just making the one answer taking ten times as long to be produced.

We're not fighting here. I just ask you (all of you, but you specifically) to calm down a bit as we're clearly nearing the release date and will have the answers soon enough. Fair enough?
Why is being loud being a bully? And considering Dave's post, MS references, and the over all vagueness that is here we do get carried away.

If it is Marianna's job to be a Customer Advocate, why isn't she being a Customer Advocate?

Maybe the best thing to do is this. AS a mod, you collect questions from us. Let us send them to you. Create a thread that people can't comment on. Let marianna go through then and answer them.

Leave the rest of the threads to let us be loud when we need to be loud. People get upset and want to express their discontent with AVID, and AVID has been very patient to allow us to do that.

So, if you want to be constructive I'll be constructive. How can we, as the users, get heard through all the noise and millions of posts so we can get our questions answered?
And how can you make that happen?

Fair?
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 03-03-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
Why is being loud being a bully?
As I said, ten questions don't necessarily produce ten answers, but take ten times longer to word in one good one. This is what's happening now (but it's not your fault really, I also think that Avid has given too little information probably because all of the details have not been decided yet and whatever Avid officially says they must deliver)

Quote:
If it is Marianna's job to be a Customer Advocate, why isn't she being a Customer Advocate?
She is, but right now there might be a real reason for radio silence.

Quote:
Maybe the best thing to do is this. AS a mod, you collect questions from us. Let us send them to you. Create a thread that people can't comment on. Let marianna go through then and answer them.
That's what we do, all the time. And as I said, it is very hard task to do if same question is asked a hundred times in ten different threads.

Quote:
Leave the rest of the threads to let us be loud when we need to be loud.
Maybe DUC needs one flame thread where anyone can vent...?

Quote:
So, if you want to be constructive I'll be constructive.
That would be great, thank you very much :)

Quote:
How can we, as the users, get heard through all the noise and millions of posts so we can get our questions answered? And how can you make that happen?
Post to the point, please. Ask a specific question in its own thread and keep all of the relating questions on that thread, and do not open another thread to the same question. There is a search function available. The more focused questions/issues you present, the more focused answers you will get.

If there is a megathread about "PT12" vaguely, that is a problem. And if it grows faster than Avid can process, the target is moving further away every day.

Quote:
Fair?
Fair enough. Let us all try to make this a better place.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
"regular" Pro Tools will not work with HD hardware, so that is not an option. Guessing you knew that, but important to clarify.
Ah no, that's density on my part - of course you're quite right. Well that IS interesting then, it does look like there will be some kind of software purchase option coming for HD, but all the details are up in the air.

JFreak - yes, I do get your frustration and sympathise. We know we will get answers eventually, though its clear for some that these decisions are very big ones financially and they need to plan ahead. Knowing in March is obviously preferable to knowing in November, but to be fair once that point has been made there's little purpose in carrying on down that road - it's not like there's a bunch of Avid employees holed up in a room, decisions all made, just enjoying the withholding of information...

What has been different about this thread is Avid's involvement via David and Marianna, and that's been good to see. There is an inevitability perhaps that when questions lead to other questions and then the trail goes cold it can lead to frustrations (probably on all sides). Its a change I'd like to see, actually - it seems on the video boards Avid reps frequently drop in. Maybe us audio folks are a far more degenerate and unruly bunch (see, THERE's the difference between the audio and video markets), but finding a way to keep a presense here constant I think should be an outcome of all this. And of course by "constant" I don't mean 24 hours, but some contact to address the main issues that arise at least once a week shouldn't be an unrealistic aspiration.

And on the "listening" part, I must confess I haven't had any indication that they are listening in the sense of "we understand the concerns and we'll endeavour address them", its more listening in the sense "we hear your concerns so we'll re-state our position". Which isn't quite the same thing.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-03-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
As I said, ten questions don't necessarily produce ten answers, but take ten times longer to word in one good one. This is what's happening now (but it's not your fault really, I also think that Avid has given too little information probably because all of the details have not been decided yet and whatever Avid officially says they must deliver)

She is, but right now there might be a real reason for radio silence.

That's what we do, all the time. And as I said, it is very hard task to do if same question is asked a hundred times in ten different threads.

Maybe DUC needs one flame thread where anyone can vent...?

That would be great, thank you very much :)

Post to the point, please. Ask a specific question in its own thread and keep all of the relating questions on that thread, and do not open another thread to the same question. There is a search function available. The more focused questions/issues you present, the more focused answers you will get.

If there is a megathread about "PT12" vaguely, that is a problem. And if it grows faster than Avid can process, the target is moving further away every day.

Fair enough. Let us all try to make this a better place.
Ok. Create a thread with specific rules. Violate those rules, post gets deleted.

Just a questions thread from users. No comments. Set up a comments thread.

Bada bing. Constructive. We don't feel we are heard, so its just going to get louder.
I don't see why we can't make something like this happen. there are multiple mods like you.

Huddle, get back to us.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 03-03-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
She only mentioned the monthly plan!
Which a.f.a.i.c.s seems to be the least interesting offer I've ever seen.

Why would I decide to own an expensive HD rig which I can only use on a monthly rental basis???

If I would ever need a DAW setup on project-basis I would just rent a whole HD system elsewhere for a month, and let the rental company spend their time on support plan rental hassle and hands on assistance.

Monthly rental of your own DAW is just plain silly.

Last edited by paul007; 03-03-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul007 View Post
Why would I decide to own an expensive HD rig which I can only use on a monthly rental basis???
worst idea ever.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:59 AM

I truly believe that the rental model os only for standard Pro Tools software which you can now run on any hardware out there. But then again I am also only guessing and hoping for the best...
Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Which a.f.a.i.c.s seems to be the least interesting offer I've ever seen.

If I would ever need a DAW setup on project-basis I would just rent a whole HD system elsewhere for a month, and let the rental company spend their time on support plan rental hassle and hands on assistance.

Monthly rental of your own DAW is just plain silly.
I agree! That's going to be one of the options though. I guess a user goes for it to get out of having to shell out so much money at one time. Kinda like Rent a Center for DAW. Never good for the customer, but great for the vendor!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-03-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Kinda like Rent a Center for DAW. Never good for the customer, but great for the vendor!
I can hardly believe they *seriously* recommend this option to a purchaser of an HD-system who lets the annual support plan lapse.

But then again, it may be "invented" as part of the pressure on those who have second thoughts about unnecessary support plans to begin with.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I can hardly believe they *seriously* recommend this option to a purchaser of an HD-system who lets the annual support plan lapse.

But then again, it may be "invented" as part of the pressure on those who have second thoughts about unnecessary support plans to begin with.
You are assuming that the customer looking for PTHD Software already owns and uses Avid Hardware.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp