Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 06-17-2020, 09:37 AM
Avid

Default Re: First steps with MTRX Studio

Greetings,

Yes - if you are running native with no HDX or HDN then DVS would be the way to interface with the MTRX Studio and your Playback Engine in Pro Tools would be Dante Virtual Soundcard.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 06-17-2020, 09:48 AM

ok great. I have a few other questions if you have time. Firstly, I think I read in the manual that I can hook my S1 into the other ethernet port if I'm not linking the MTRX to other units. Did I read that correctly?
Old 06-17-2020, 10:50 AM
Avid

I would highly recommend using a dedicated network interface for your control surfaces. Based on your workstation, simply add additional TB2 or TB3 -> Ethernet adapters for all of your various networks. I think 2 networks for a start is good. With newer machines we’ve had good success with the Belkin TB3->Gig Ethernet adapters. Whether or not you deploy a router / DHCP server on this network (best practices) you really should have your surfaces on a separate network.

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 06-17-2020, 11:34 AM

So let me try and understand. As of now I have a Mac Pro trashcan. I have ethernet coming in on a hard line and then the second port is going out to the MTRX. I had initially tried to do an ethernet to thunderbolt adaptor but EuCon didn't see the S1. So you are saying to get a thunderbolt doc and plug that into the Mac and the S1 into the doc? Sorry just trying to clarify. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:39 AM
Avid

If you are simply adding an S1 to your existing setup you could simply throw it on the same network port 2 as MTRX Studio. Not a problem. I would recommend either a Gigabit Switch, or better a router / DHCP server to feed both S1 and MTRX Studio. All of your internet and local network traffic should be happening on Ethernet Port 1 of your trash can.

If you get into larger surface and Dante configurations it can be beneficial to have dedicated networks for everything, however it should work just fine for a smaller config. Hope this helps.

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 06-17-2020, 09:33 PM

Ok thanks Jeff. I switched ports on my Mac and the S1 connected right away. I had no idea that it needed to be connected to the first port. I'll try and get the MTRX rolling with the Dante Virtual Sound Card.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:07 AM
Avid

S1 will work connected in various ways to different network interfaces depending on the machine. It does not need to be connected specifically to port1 for example. I've tested it on multiple NIC's on Trash Cans, 2018 Mac Mini + external TB->Ethernet adapters and 2019 Mac Pro integrated Ethernet ports. Most of the Apple and 3rd party Ethernet adapters (TB2 or TB3) that I've tried have also worked.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 06-18-2020, 09:30 AM

Ok great. What do you suggest about assigning individual IP's to both the MTRX and S1 regarding stability? Will it increase it or does it not make a difference?
Old 06-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Avid

It is certainly possible but not necessary to reserve static IP addresses for S1 and MTRX Studio. If you do choose to do so make sure you are using the latest version of firmware for S1 as there were some documented problems assigning static with early firmware.

If you do go static - make sure that S1, Dante and MTRX Studio all have unique addresses in the same subnet. It's also perfectly fine to use a router / DHCP server to automatically assign addresses to these 3 - which would then be set to DHCP in the boot settings of S1, in DVS / Dante Controller and in DADman > Settings > Device List > Click on unit > Network Settings. Let me know how it goes.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 06-18-2020, 09:52 AM

ok great. Just checking. I'll have more questions as I get into it. Thanks for your help.