Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2019, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Update question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Thanks. So what happens if you don't rename the PT app.
The Pro Tools installer will just write over your currently installed version. This will work fine too, but it's a bit harder to go back to your previous version, if you need to.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
The Pro Tools installer will just write over your currently installed version. This will work fine too, but it's a bit harder to go back to your previous version, if you need to.
Thanks.

But aren't there other files besides the main PT application that are part of the install [drivers, and what - not], that are specific and change from version to version. Don't those get overwritten or messed with by the install?

I guess they've got this worked out so that it works, but at one point I would have thought it might be necessary to uninstall one before installing the other, or to put them on separate partitions.

Pretty sure you don't have to uninstall and then install, but I wonder how far back the newest version will "reach". It seems to be listed as a full install, but I guess its designed to "update" in a sense also?

But, anyhow, you're saying that what you describe has worked for you, and I understand that.

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience keeping multiple versions going. Anyone?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 11-29-2019, 05:48 PM

Well, wait.........there's this from Sweetwater where they apparently do say to uninstall first. What gives?

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...tools-12-2018/

Anybody have any more thoughts on this? Maybe a question for tech support?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 11-29-2019, 05:52 PM

It works. I do it every time a new version is released.

If you’d prefer to confirm with a tech, by all means, but it does work. In fact it works with most point updates of any software on a Mac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Do you know if the method lee777 outlined is acceptable?
Yes. Mac doesn't care what you call your application so you can rename and have multiple PT versions installed. So long as you understand all the versions are sharing same setting files etc. so there might eventually be something funky going on, but it works anyway.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:44 AM

I did the update to 2019_10 while keeping the 2018.12.3 application, but I just realized that if I now update to Mojave the 2018.12.3 application is not really compatible with it. : )

Hmmm.

Also, now my Avid Application Manager program icon in the dock has turned into a generic application icon, and when I click on it "Avid Link" opens up. W T F? I did download the installer for the Avid Link, but I quit out of it before running it. Or that's what I thought. ??? I guess there is no more Application Manager?

Hmmm again.

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 11-30-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:55 AM

Avid Link is the new Appman so nothing strange going on there.

And regarding uninstalling PT before intalling a new version is for PT on Windows as PT on macOS doesn’t have an uninstaller so just run over your old version and stop worrying. We all done this way since PT9.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-30-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Avid Link is the new Appman so nothing strange going on there.

And regarding uninstalling PT before installing a new version is for PT on Windows as PT on macOS doesn’t have an uninstaller so just run over your old version and stop worrying. We all done this way since PT9.
Thanks, man. Np worries, already updated it.

So you can't use Application Manager anymore?

Best always,

mightyduck
Old 11-30-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks, man. Np worries, already updated it.

So you can't use Application Manager anymore?

Best always,

mightyduck
It is a mess and if it installs just uninstall and start using the Avid Link or just use your Avid Account which is what we do. We also uninstalled Avid Link as our Mac Pro Trashcans aren’t connected to the web unless we need to update but then we disconnect asap and Avid link keeps phoning home and the e have no idea what it sends and recieves from the internet so nothing we need. I know none of the studios we work with who have any of these installed and same with the cloud stuff.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-30-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
It is a mess and if it installs just uninstall and start using the Avid Link or just use your Avid Account which is what we do. We also uninstalled Avid Link as our Mac Pro Trashcans aren’t connected to the web unless we need to update but then we disconnect asap and Avid link keeps phoning home and the e have no idea what it sends and recieves from the internet so nothing we need. I know none of the studios we work with who have any of these installed and same with the cloud stuff.
Hi,

Are you saying ‘application mgr” is a mess, or avid link, or both? Seems to me that application manager was kind of handy for updating Plugins and that stuff. And I guess Avid link probably does the same but now there are a bunch of advertisements, too. I don’t really know what all it is for, tbh. But something is weird with the app icon in the dock. It says application mgr, but with a generic file icon, and when I click it Avid Link opens. I dunno.

Also, my iPad woke me up with an alert saying someone was using my Apple ID to FaceTime on a new computer. I wonder if that is just because I updated from high Sierra to Mojave’?

Or is my stuff possessed? That would suck.

Best,

mightyduck