Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 AM

Thumbs up Korg M50 = Perfect AKAI CD ROM Conversion

I wonder how they do it...

I own pretty much every software sampler on the market. They all have one thing in common. Converting AKAI programs (S1000 & S3000) doesn't sound at all like the AKAI Program. After conversion, some have extremely strange ADSR curves, some dont play at all and others have trouble figuring out how to pan to the left or right. Never tried with GigaSampler, though.

I have tried with various conversion softwares like CDXtract and Chickingsys Translator Pro. I cant really say that it works but CDX is pretty close on a few conversions.

I got a Korg M3 recently, very nice synth. As I finally got to read a little in the manual during a too long visit to the toilet, I read that the M3 could read AKAI S1000 & S3000 programs. Today I gave it a try as I thought it would be nice being able to apply the M3's synthesis to the samples. I did not expect much. In the interest of thoroughness I pulled up my retired AKAICD3000XL to compare with. I tried it with numerous of my favorite libs and the M3 converted each and every one of them with excellence. I am scared to use the term of 100% but in the comparison I wasn't able to tell the difference. So let us say that the M3 gets it 99% right.

I know a lot of old AKAI users having the same problems so I thought I'd post that this here lone ranger Mr. M3 is perfectly capable of such conversions. I wonder why all the software samplers are doing such a bad job with it. Guess the price tag on the Korg, besides its sounds is very much justified after all. Speaking of sound, with 300MB Korg does a better job than some with 50GB
Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Korg M50 = Perfect AKAI CD ROM Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
...Speaking of sound, with 300MB Korg does a better job than some with 50GB
I believe that !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 07-21-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
I believe that !
First disclaimer I'm not an keyboard player.. but that's the same thing I have been thinking about a lot.. what the hell is going on with all the VI's? There are so many cool synths out there that have like 3mhz processors and 512kb memory and they sound fantastic and then there are all the new VI's with GB's of "stuff" and they are still sounding dull and do snap crackle and pop all over the place.. so why is that?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:45 PM

True as far as sample playback goes, but when you want to get into the wild frontiers of sample manipulation and sound design, the software rocks. Still, I love the sound I get from my old Yamaha A3000 and RS7000 samplers. It is amazing how good they sound with such "paltry" amounts of RAM, etc.