Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2015, 04:31 PM

Default PT 12 anyone?

It was released yesterday -- anybody biting the bullet?

I'm just asking out of curiosity, no plans to upgrade myself, I'm staying with PT 10 / 11.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:21 PM

Default Re: PT 12 anyone?

Bahaahaha!
Looking at the discussions in the PT12 forum, I'd guess that's not such a sensible idea right now.
All sorts of issues with licensing, downloads disappearing from accounts they should be in, and appearing in one they shouldn't.

I decided to install it on my recently backed-up laptop for a giggle, but haven't opened it after reading that it may remove my PT11 licence from my iLok.

I'm going to wait until the waters settle a little... and won't be going there for a long time on my studio rig...
Old 03-25-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
It was released yesterday -- anybody biting the bullet?

I'm just asking out of curiosity, no plans to upgrade myself, I'm staying with PT 10 / 11.

Thanks!
HD users have till Dec. 31 of this year to make up their mind and before being permanently locked in to 11 or 10 or whatever they have at that point.

After that they have to re-purchase 12HD new which essentially means they have to buy at least one card as well and an Omni. That's a 5000$ re-entry ticket or more than 8 years worth of upgrade plan. Seems a bit out of whack to me...

It's really sad for freelancers who own multiple systems they only need occasionally when they travel or when they need to move a mobile kit to a remote mixing site for a few weeks or need an assistant to help out on a second rig. 1200 or 2400$/year to maintain that workflow just to have them sit in the closet for a year when you don't need them? Not sure if a lot of people can do that...

Also makes very little sense being forced to pay support fees for every single license. Why would I need more phone-support for 3 systems than I'd need for a single one when all are the same and owned by the same person?

But I'm in no hurry. Best to wait till the dust has settled. And at the moment there's a *lot* of dust in the air looking at the PT12 section :roll eyes:
I wouldn't be surprised if things changed over the course of the year. I hope...

Regarding PT12. This would indeed interest me at the moment:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=365910

There's so much ranting over there. People probably didn't notice the posting.

Frank.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:17 AM

How does this work???? you say: "HD users have till Dec. 31 of this year to make up their mind and before being permanently locked in to 11 or 10 or whatever they have at that point.

After that they have to re-purchase 12HD new which essentially means they have to buy at least one card as well and an Omni. That's a 5000$ re-entry ticket or more than 8 years worth of upgrade plan"

I am on PT HDX 1 card, using version 11. Do I have to re-pay $5000 if I don't upgrade before Dec 31? that would be ridiculous, I bought my HDX and a new interface about 2 years ago.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:23 AM

Default PT 12 anyone?

AFAIK, the new HD plan/policy has not yet been announced... Or if it is I have missed it.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:24 AM

As far as I understand it from the FAQ is that if you let your upgrade plan lapse the only way to get back on it is to re-purchase a PT12HD license. But the only way (currently) to buy that is to buy a card which comes with PT12HD so that would be a HDn system which at the moment can only be had with an Omni if I'm correct which sells for about 5000$.

This is how I de-cypher the FAQ and connect the dots.

If you haven't purchased the 599$ plan by Dec. 31st I think it means you are already lapsing.

So if you want to move to 12HD after that date you can only buy new because unlike with PT12 there is no subscription plan for 12HD where you can hop on and off on a monthly basis.

I'd be most gladly proven wrong. Please tell me I am!

Frank.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 AM

I asked an Avid rep about what happens if I don't upgrade by 31 Dec, all he said was "the world ends". He was very cagey about it all.

I think they'll introduce a software-only HD subscription plan (note the PT 11.3 start screen says "Pro Tools Software"), they're just holding off to not piss off those of use who had to buy the hardware just to get an HD licence. The days of Avid as a hardware company are over. You can already get Media Composer without hardware, so I can't see them having a different policy towards Pro Tools.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:37 AM

PT12 only says Pro Tools. Maybe PT13 only says Pro? Joking aside, we still do not know.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
As far as I understand it from the FAQ is that if you let your upgrade plan lapse the only way to get back on it is to re-purchase a PT12HD license. But the only way (currently) to buy that is to buy a card which comes with PT12HD so that would be a HDn system which at the moment can only be had with an Omni if I'm correct which sells for about 5000$.

This is how I de-cypher the FAQ and connect the dots.

If you haven't purchased the 599$ plan by Dec. 31st I think it means you are already lapsing.

So if you want to move to 12HD after that date you can only buy new because unlike with PT12 there is no subscription plan for 12HD where you can hop on and off on a monthly basis.

I'd be most gladly proven wrong. Please tell me I am!

Frank.
If what you are saying is true, this would be the worst public relations of Avid. There is no way, they can 'justify' re-charging 5K for those who paid - less than 2 years ago- the going rate for their HDX system (may be it was like 12K I don't remember). In my opinion, the market will not support these sort of gauging policies. I agree that if I want to buy PT 12 there may be a 'reasonable upgrade charge' but 5K? is ridiculous! and being forced to buy another hardware card that wont even run along side my HDX? this would be insane! So may be what Avid is trying to do is discontinue the HDX cards altogether and go native from now on, which also sucks because they are supposed to provide upgrades and support of their hardware for at least 5 years, are they not?

I can easily stay in PT 11 HDX DSP for the next 10 years, at which time I will be retired, or if I am still working, there may be a better option then.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:28 AM

Hey Avid, why don't you clearly state the policy for the upgrade for PT 12 for those of us who bought HDX DSP