Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Default Who has switched from TDM to HD Native?

I'd appreciate it if you shared your stories here.

My biggest concern is tracking with plugs inserted or into an almost finished mix.

Sorry if this has been discussed, I admit I didn't do a search.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Who has switched from TDM to HD Native?

I don't have a Native card sorry, but I can share a friend's experience who was a Logic user and now has Pro Tools 9. With Logic he was able to disable monitoring thru Logic and he used sound card direct monitoring instead. Now with Pro Tools 9 he cannot disable monitoring thru Pro Tools and for that reason also cannot use direct monitoring with the sound card. So he uses Pro Tools with smallest buffer and he said to me it is a problem for some customers. He would love to be able to disable Pro Tools monitoring and use sound card direct monitoring instead, like it was with Logic.

I believe Native has a fast monitoring option for one mix, but when using that, plugins will be disabled AFAIK.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:28 PM

bump.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 AM

A friend mine in Nashville who is mainly just mixing, sold his HD rig and switched from TDM to Native and loves it. He has a good amount of grammys under his belt and does some big mixes, but he found a fast 8core mac and the rtas versions of his plugs still allow him to do large mixes. We were hanging at NAMM this last weekend and the only non native DSP he was interested in getting was the new UA2 firewire dsp box, but not for the dsp, just for the plugs they offer.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 AM

I decided to try out PT9 hardware-free, right when it came out.

I haven't reinstalled my cards yet!

I find it smooth and in no way hobbled. The only thing I miss is input monitoring, it has required me to work a little differently while tuning vocals.

That said, I pretty much only do editing, not tracking or mixing. I think mixing would be fine in this way, tracking not so much.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Does HD native not offer input monitoring?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:51 AM

HD Native does in fact have input monitoring. I think Captain Crunch was referring to "regular" Protools Native.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:26 AM

i would like to know how big is the latency for
input monitoring compared to a tdm system is.

when using f.e. the pitch plugin in an aux in
for recording processed how big is then the
latency with the native card ?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
I don't have a Native card sorry, but I can share a friend's experience who was a Logic user and now has Pro Tools 9. With Logic he was able to disable monitoring thru Logic and he used sound card direct monitoring instead. Now with Pro Tools 9 he cannot disable monitoring thru Pro Tools and for that reason also cannot use direct monitoring with the sound card. So he uses Pro Tools with smallest buffer and he said to me it is a problem for some customers. He would love to be able to disable Pro Tools monitoring and use sound card direct monitoring instead, like it was with Logic.

I believe Native has a fast monitoring option for one mix, but when using that, plugins will be disabled AFAIK.
But all he has to do is mute the record channel. I do it with my Duet and Maestro all the time. I must be missing something here.

TH
Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
But all he has to do is mute the record channel. I do it with my Duet and Maestro all the time. I must be missing something here.

TH
Hi, thats an option, as is to pull down the fader and un-group rec and playback faders so you have it down when tracking and up when playing back. Your muting idea is good but PITA if you want to hear what you recorded, you need to keep pushing buttons and doing unnecessary additional moves. Same for mine separate fader levels idea, you need to keep going in enabling-disabling record enabled track(s).