Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2018, 12:18 PM

Default white noise/static from computer when monitoring pro tools (sample attached)

I'm hearing a loud white noise that is audibly effected when I move windows around on the computer... you'll hear the noise... then a few seconds in you'll hear a deeper vibrating noise.. that's me simply moving a window on my PC to the left and to the right..

sample mp3 : https://s.amsu.ng/9NSjfbIXUAyN

I've just had to rebuild my PT system with a new computer.. never had any noise like this.. Same room.. same wires.. same setup... just new computer.. and potentially an audio setting I'm hoping that will fix this.. I thought maybe something was routing through my apollo but I have all virtual tracks muted.. I'm monitoring through Pro Tools.. I did notice that my windows audio was running through the Apollo.. so I changed that.. but it didn't fix the noise.. I no longer hear windows audio, which is good.. but the buzzing that you hear in the sample remains. Please help!

Thanks
Stacy
Old 12-11-2018, 12:37 PM

Default Re: white noise/static from computer when monitoring pro tools (sample attached)

Lots of standard stuff you should try starting with getting the computer away physically and electrically from the audio interface and monitors. Lots of useful stuff about solving noise problems is covered in online guides or books on audio engineering. Nothing is related to Pro Tools here. Making sure everything is properly grounded etc. and you are using proper balanced cables where possible, remove unneeded anything connected to the computer, interfaces or monitors. Disconnect monitors at interface and test with headphones. Always suspect the computer display/swap try another or just power off the display and see if stuff goes away. Unplug networking, etc... basically you have lots of experimenting to do. Try other interface connection cable.

Is this all the time when playing back anything or it gets recorded into the audio (always? Certain mics? Guitars etc? ... then they are your suspects).
Old 12-11-2018, 01:10 PM

Default Re: white noise/static from computer when monitoring pro tools (sample attached)

Used to have this problem in a studio I worked in.
Usually it was more audible when screen was white or bright (for some reason).
If I can recall, it was fixed once the monitor was replaced by a new one.