Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 AM

Default Re: HDN why 96k

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
So... what that means is HDX is inferior in tracking with plugins, compared to HDN. Native buffer being equal in both, HDX takes additional latency hit if you use AAX-DSP

Right?
No. Please reread my posts. AAX-DSP plugins add between 10 and 80 samples of latency per instance. Almost all of AVID ones are 10 each. So 5 of them is 50 samples - 0.5ms at 96kHz. With all DSP plugins on a REC enabled track - the native buffer does not matter. Native plugins on the non-REC enabled tracks in HDX also have no latency effect on RED enabled tracks. As always anything on the Master fader affects latency. Record wth L1 on the Master?? Never was possible.

If you insist on putting Native plugs on a REC enabled track (or Master Fader) in HDX then YES - Native would be better.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html

Last edited by propower; 01-19-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post

If you insist on putting Native plugs on a REC enabled track (or Master Fader) in HDX then YES - Native would be better.
With HDX, I always stick with DSP plug-ins on the record tracks. It never occurred to me to use native.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-19-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Since I recently purchased a 24 channel D-Command, I'm considering making the migration from TDM land, to ProTools HD11 with the HD native card.

I've owned ProTools HD 11 since it came out, and I did run it through its paces about a year or so ago with an HD native card but didn't spend a ton of time on it. I was mainly testing it to see how it would handle latency, on a fairly heavy/dense mix, and my impressions back then were that it could be challenging when needing to do some overdubs late in the mix stage. I remember dealing with frustrating latency at that point. I was actually really surprised at that when I did it, as I have a pretty powerful computer I've got a 5.1 12 core with 32 gig of RAM.

Full disclosure when I did my testing, I did it on sessions that were significantly larger than my average session, just so I could get an idea what it would feel like if I needed to do larger sessions.

When I tested it, I did do it at 44. It seems like I remember most people prefer working at 96 with HD native.

What are the benefits of recording at 96 versus 44 with HD native, if any?

Today I purchased an HD native card from Alto Music, for a whopping $629. I figured I'd spend a month with it, and if they gave me what I needed, I would sell my TDM cards and make the permanent move off of TDM and into more recent versions of ProTools.
Hi Barry. This looks interesting as far as the latency and sound, but it's pricer than you probably want to go. Still in interesting threat here DUC which I just noticed and am pointing you to. Worth a look at least! I'm doing fine on Mac Pro Trash Can with feature film mixes and scoring with Native HD. .I still have another whole HDAccel system in the storage here with another Mac Pro tower. G

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=388202
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-19-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Hi Barry. This looks interesting as far as the latency and sound, but it's pricer than you probably want to go. Still in interesting threat here DUC which I just noticed and am pointing you to. Worth a look at least! I'm doing fine on Mac Pro Trash Can with feature film mixes and scoring with Native HD. .I still have another whole HDAccel system in the storage here with another Mac Pro tower. G

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=388202
Interesting, we will find out a lot more once it gets in people's hands.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-19-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
One thing I've not put much to the test today, and am curious what I might find, is how will the fact that I use a lot of Hardware Inserts on my Rig? Its never an issue with TDM, will there be any latency or manual adjusting that needs to happen mixing through outboard hardware via Hardware Inserts?
From what I understand, HD Native automatically compensates for hardware inserts just like TDM or HDX. Another feature benefit for the combo of HD hardware and software.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
With all DSP plugins on a REC enabled track - the native buffer does not matter. (...) If you insist on putting Native plugs on a REC enabled track (or Master Fader) in HDX then YES - Native would be better.
Thanks for nailing my point. That is exactly what would happen if I tracked using HDX -- native processing cannot be avoided.