Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2015, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Best Mac Pro for PTHD 12 with Native PCIe Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I can help you with it if you decide to go that route. I strongly recommend it!!!!!
Interesting, tell us more?
Old 12-04-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoZion View Post
Interesting, tell us more?
Start here, and don't hesitate to PM me with as many questions has you have. I have upgrade a 2009 quad core to a 6 core and a 2009 8 core to a 12 core.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=370850

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-04-2015, 04:37 PM

Txs!
Old 08-25-2017, 11:27 PM

Hello. I'm sure you already purchased the Mac Pro since I'm responding to a two year old post. But since this post appeared when I searched Google, I'm sure other Pro Tools users see this post for advice.

All applications carry out various tasks. Some tasks are single threaded (or frequency bound), which means they utilize only one core. For these tasks, it's important to have a high clock speed. Other tasks take advantage of multiple cores.

We performed an experiment on a 2010 Mac Pro Model 5,1 Quad-core 2.8GHz running Pro Tools 12. We ran a session and kept an eye on the CPU usage monitor. We then upgraded the processor to a 12-core 2.66GHz, while keeping everything else the same. Running the same session, the CPU usage was about 30% less. This is great because the CPU was not bogged by the session, thus allowing the system to perform more efficiently. Plus, it will allow for larger sessions.

For Pro Tools, having a moderate clock speed is fine, but we found that the CPU cores definitely make a difference when it comes to the Mac Pro tower.

If you go with the Mac Pro cylinder, going with less cores is fine as another member above stated. This is because the processors are of newer Intel Xeon generation, which have overall greater performance.

In terms of memory, the general recommendation is to have 3-6GB of memory per processor core. For a 12-core, 32GB is fine...or 64GB if you have very large sessions. Virtual instruments eat up lots of memory. If you have virtual instruments, getting up to 96GB or 128GB is not a bad idea.

In terms of storage, we recommend two to three drives:
Primary (SSD Suggested): operating system, applications, and plug-ins
Secondary (SSD or HD): sessions
Tertiary (HD is fine): sound libraries

For the graphics card, the standard model is typically fine. If you are running the video engine within Pro Tools, the graphics performance should be considered. The standard ATI Radeon 5770 1GB graphics card in the Mac Pro 5,1 is fine. However, if you have the Mac Pro 4,1 with the GT120 or the Mac Pro 3,1 with the 2600XT, upgrading is a good idea. On the Mac Pro cylinder, getting the D500 is a good idea. Sometimes of my Pro Tools customers have informed me the low end D300 GPU on the cylinder can get choppy with video.

We have prepared hundreds of Mac Pros for recording. If you have any questions, let us know.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:01 AM

Running a PCI-E SSD as a boot drive will give you great speed for loading sessions and caches, bootup, etc
Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 PM

If someone could be so kind as to send this entire Thread/Post to Apple Developers

So someone in their boardroom can see the real life need for these modular cheese graters again.
And not the Trashcan that is IMHO trash. Anyone would have to spend double the price just in a chassis and peripherals, cables, power cords, more desk space, fan noise, heat, etc. to do what these last generation Westmeres did right out of the box.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 08-28-2017, 07:10 PM

Apple has basically already admitted they screwed up the trashcan, and we are now awaiting what is presumably a new generation of expandable Mac Pro computers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk