Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-07-2016, 02:30 PM

Default X-Form offsetting audio after rendering

Hello everyone,
I have been combating this issue for a couple months now, searched the depths of the internet for similar cases, and exhausted every potential solution I can think of.

Basically, I am quantizing audio with elastic audio's polyphonic mode, then switching over to x-form for a better sound. Once x-form finishes processing, the audio has been gradually shifted back throughout the session, and off the grid. This problem seems to only occur when I am tracking multiple songs in one session. It's dead on at the beginning, but by the end of the session, the audio is roughly an 8th note late. It works just fine on bass guitar, but not on DI guitars of the same length.

The attached picture shows the before and after.

I've tried...adjusting/deleting analysis markers, switching the tracks to "ticks" rather than samples, consolidating and separating tracks, Pro Tools 10 and 11, and numerous other little things. I even created new tracks for each song, rather than one continuous clip throughout the session...to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X-Form.jpg (80.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-07-2016, 08:03 PM

Default Re: X-Form offsetting audio after rendering

The most important thing to do is to drop a marker(lock in place) at each side of the area you are working on. As you are discovering(the hard way), if you move any marker, everything past it is going to also move, so you need to place markers to prevent that(much the same way that when you Shift-click on a marker and move it, the markers on either side will lock in place, so ONLY the one you move, actually moves.

I use X-Form almost exclusively. If you have tried it, you probably hate the way it takes time to render, even if you simply click on a marker(without moving it). My solution is to choose just the area that needs work(and usually just what fits on my EDIT screen), separate that clip(region) and drop warp markers at each end(so the ends are locked in place). Then, I can move things around in this defined area, and because its only a few bars in length, it renders in a few seconds.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 05-28-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:58 PM

Albee1952, thank you for your quick response!
That's a great idea, definitely a smart way to work. I just gave it a try, working within X-Form, rather than polyphonic, working in small chunks, and placing markers at the beginning and end of each brief section. Unfortunately, I arrived at the same conclusion as before.

The attached picture shows where the quantized markers should be as it is rendering (top), and the displaced audio after rendering (bottom).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X-Form 2.jpg (38.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-07-2016, 09:14 PM

Hmmm, hard for me to tell what's going on without looking over your shoulder while you work it. The only time stuff moves here is when I forget to drop markers before I start moving stuff....

Old 01-08-2016, 01:30 AM

Not that it's right, but it's normal. It's something that's bugged me as well. Happens on all algorithms afaik.

Try using the new commit function if you're on 12.3. I'm curious wether it still does it with that.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:40 PM

Apologies, old thread I know, but did this ever get solved? This issue's just turned up for me, first time I've come across it!

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Not that it's right, but it's normal. It's something that's bugged me as well. Happens on all algorithms afaik.

Try using the new commit function if you're on 12.3. I'm curious wether it still does it with that.
I wouldn't call it normal and its never happened here