Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 PM

Default What's the difference between clip gain and volume automation on audio?

Okay so I would like to make some parts of my audio a little louder. I know that automating both the volume bar, as well as the clip gain makes it louder. My question is like what applications do you use clip gain for, and what applications do you use volume for? I;m just wondering what the best option is to make audio louder.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 PM

Think of clip gain as a pre insert volume control. I use it to set the track to be relatively level the whole way through. This makes sure it's hitting the compressor (and any other effects) at a consistent level. Then I use the fader to do the actual mixing and dynamic changes.

But it can probably be used lots of other ways also. That's just my main use.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 PM

Default Re: What's the difference between clip gain and volume automation on audio?

Clip Gain = Pre-insert
Volume Automation = Post-Insert

Clip gain rocks for bringing up quiet parts so they hit with the same level to run though the insert processors. Volume automation is better for bring up/down passages in comparison to the mix. Otherwise your clip gain increase might hit the compressor harder than other parts, killing the transient, or adding to much clipping to the distortion it's running though. Just make sure you pull back one of the nodes if there are two layered over each other vertically, otherwise there will be an audible pop sound. They must ramp, even if it's only a very steep ramp. Hopefully they'll fix that in a future update.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Default Re: What's the difference between clip gain and volume automation on audio?

if it helps think of Clip Gain as the Mic/Line gain knob on a console

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Would it have been wrong for Avid to name and refer to Clip Gain as "Clip Volume", or does it also adjust the dynamics above and beyond what a normal volume knob would do?

I've been trying to digest the differences other than what's already been mentioned and information based on a video tutorial at the Pro Tools Expert site by Russ, IIRC. I think the video is behind a curtain, but it's called "Mixing Basics - Levels" and a little ways down page 4 right now on the production tips. http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/prod...?currentPage=4

In the video, he adjusts the levels in the Edit window and refers to it as "Gain". I was wondeering if any signal breakup was gotten from just from the volume being turned way up or if the Clip Gain functionality does some additional tone coloring of it's own? Or, is it simply a pre-insert volume adjustment?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Would it have been wrong for Avid to name and refer to Clip Gain as "Clip Volume", or does it also adjust the dynamics above and beyond what a normal volume knob would do?

I've been trying to digest the differences other than what's already been mentioned and information based on a video tutorial at the Pro Tools Expert site by Russ, IIRC. I think the video is behind a curtain, but it's called "Mixing Basics - Levels" and a little ways down page 4 right now on the production tips. http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/prod...?currentPage=4

In the video, he adjusts the levels in the Edit window and refers to it as "Gain". I was wondeering if any signal breakup was gotten from just from the volume being turned way up or if the Clip Gain functionality does some additional tone coloring of it's own? Or, is it simply a pre-insert volume adjustment?
yes it would have, gain is energy volume is level
you can have passive level attenuation
you can not have passive energy increase

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
(snip)

Would you happen to be a guitar player? I ask because a fellow band member was always a little confused about the gain knob on mixers. He also thought it would add warmth/ coloring/ distortion just as his gain knob on his amp did. And they are both essentially the same thing. They both adjust the level going into the device.

However in an amp increasing the level until it clips is usually desirable (and the intention on any amp/channel designed for a distorted sound) but you (typically) don't want to clip a mixer/preamp. The exception is some tube/color preamps that do add warmth as they're pushed. Pro Tools is digital and digital clipping is almost always undesirable.

So in pro tools you (typically) want your levels to be in the upper end of green with the peaks maybe bumping the yellow before any processing. So you can use clip gain to achieve that if something was tracked at the wrong level. Basically like turning a gain knob on a mixer up or down. The cool thing is you can split a track up and easily gain match large dynamic changes. For example a bass player who played too softly during an intro, or a drummer who was killing the snare during the bridge.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 PM

Yes, guitar player first and foremost.
Thanks for the answers, folks. I think that clears things up for me. I've not been using the Clip Gain functionality to it's fullest extent. This adds a bit to the tool-box.