Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Post Strip Silence - Deleting Audio

I have recently been noticing that when I have been using "Strip Silence" that it will sometimes delete large portions of audio.

Does anyone know why this happens...?

I have checked my setting and I use Strip Silence all the time and have only recently noticed that it has been cutting out large audio regions that it should not be eliminating. Please Help!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Strip Silence - Deleting Audio

Strip silence uses the amplitude (volume level) of the waveform to determine what is within the threshold - which is set by you. I've never really found it to be incredibly helpful, because of its limited parameters, and the fact that it often wants to remove stuff I want to keep. Even though it's a bit more time consuming, I've been a big fan of stripping silence manually, by selecting the part of the region I want to nuke, and then pressing the delete key. I then go back and add fades where there are any clicks, or pops.

It's really nice to have something do a really quick job for you, and save you some valuable time. But, in the realm of Strip Silence, I'd rather take the extra time, do it myself, and make my ears happy, instead of my clock.

http://www.gidakdigital.com
Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 AM

I used to use Strip Silence to clean out tom tracks when needed. Now, I clean them out manually - takes me about two minutes and I'm much happier with the result. And if it's a pop/rock tune, I like those edits to be a little more precise because there will most-probably be samples added for augmentation. This allows me to tab through them quicker.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM

Hmm, I use strip silence quite often, and as long as the settings are correct, I've never see it remove audio.... Not sure what could be causing that. But I've never seen it here..
Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 PM

The only time Strip Silence was ever ready to surprise me by removing extra audio was when I had several tracks accidentally grouped together, and the threshold was set for the quietest one.

Check to make sure you haven't done the same thing.

System info: PT Ultimate 2019.6 HDX, Mac Pro 5,1 Westmere, OS 10.13.3, UAD2 Octo PCIe, 2x Lynx Aurora16 w LTHD cards, 1x Lynx Aurora(n) 32 ch analog I/O DigiLink, 4x Dangerous Convert-8 (AES via Lynx), Dangerous Convert-2 (AES via Lynx), Dangerous Vonvert AD+, Apogee Big Ben, SSD boot drive, external FW800 audio drives