Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2002, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Is Digi begining to focus more on Win-doze?

Steady on, DC.

Just curious; what are you hoping to achieve with this post? Digidesign must laugh, with a sense of exhaustion, at a lot of the nervous posts on this board. It would be sad to end up with a 3-page "discussion" full of insecure, knee-jerk reactions, leading to an angry demand for Digi's response. Digi's time is better spent in MacOS X R&D than in putting out fires it didn't start.

Emagic's Windows revenue was 35%. What do you think Digidesign's is for TDM? I'd wager less, especially with the state of plug-ins. Most PC owners (I own both) are so because they like cheap hardware and the illusion of a free software lunch. Hmmm.

Please, let's all do our part to keep the signal-to-noise ratio as high as possible around here. We all fled rec.audio.pro for a reason.

Not trying to make waves, just concerned as well,

E. Fraxby
Old 09-18-2002, 02:46 PM

I'm not freaking out/knee jerking, but calmly agreeing that Digidesign is shifting focus to pickup a new opening in the PC market.

Remember when there was Digiworld? A product tour sponsored by Digi and Apple? Don't see much of that anymore.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fraxby:
Steady on, DC.

Just curious; what are you hoping to achieve with this post? Digidesign must laugh, with a sense of exhaustion, at a lot of the nervous posts on this board. E. Fraxby
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes Sir Sgt. Fraxby! c'mon E, I was a little rattled with the new page too. I think the Mac is still the bread and butter for Ptools and with apple& logics move It makes you wonder. Its kind of the chicken and the egg, who did what first?
I mean it makes sense but it still rattles ya,ok maybe just me, I have HD on a Mac!Peace
Daniel
Old 09-18-2002, 06:20 PM

Think in sales terms for a minute: how would you expect to raise sales of a product made by your company, a product that had sales potential, but was not even close to the sales numbers or market share of another product made by your company? My first guess would be advertising, my second would be to get it in the hands of the end-user for a trial-run. It seems like that's all Digi's doing here...I don't think allegiance to an OS has much to do with it.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:47 PM

Sorry for the rant! I think that's my first rant on the DUC, not bad. I get a little worked up by all the fevered talk that goes on around here. It didn't use to be like this a couple years ago. In fairness, Mr DC2Light wasn't fevered, but I could see the future of this thread collapsing into a really tired discussion we've all seen before.

Peace be unto you, Toolers.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:03 PM

I was kinda surprised to see that too.
I think allot of it has to do with Digi gaining market share in that category.
Notice the “LE” family. So I think in LE Digi is trying to gain on PC users because of the new OSX / Logic / VST etc. I doubt Digi will abandon Apple, there is still more to gain than loose. IMHO.
It’s all very interesting to me because of Bill Gates ownership or whatever in Apple. Who is competing with who? And I’ll bet that when the dust settles after AES this year, we’ll see some clear course. I’d also bet after Digi goes OSX we may even see BF plugs. Who knows? Maybe BF has just been waiting for PT 6 / OSX to be released. Who knows what goes on behind the curtain.
Just my thoughts.
Should be an interesting AES show. I wish I was going. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2002, 12:13 AM

Default Is Digi begining to focus more on Win-doze?

Hmm.. look a the opening page for Digi. Win-doze Tour with Sony and Intell? Even the software update announced is specifically for Win-doze. Is there a shift in focus now that Apple owns Logic? Not trying to make waves, just concerned. Voice your opinion here please.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:42 AM

Does it really matter ? I wouldn't mind going XP if I could get all of the plug-ins available currently for the Mac. Since going OS X will require a rewrite anyway what's the big deal about a switch to XP as opposed to OS X. Either OS is light years different from the OS 9 we've all been using for so long anyway. Just my opinion.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:21 PM

Honestly, I don't care which system it runs on. I'm equally comfortable on either platform. I do have a question for someone though. I haven't really been keeping up with the digi rumours so I don't know if this is obvious or not but... Does digidesign plan to release PT 6 for OS X for mix systems or just HD systems ? I don't plan on upgrading to HD for awhile so this would be fairly important. Also, I don't plan on upgrading to OS X for awhile yet either since I doubt most plugins will be available for quite some time. Will they release PT 6 for OS9 ? Thanks for the scoop.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:39 PM

This is an interesting thread.

A few months ago, I came upon this:

"CNET News.com
June 15, 1998, 6:05 PM PT

Here's a switch: Microsoft is selling a company, not buying it.

The software giant said today it would sell Softimage, a digital media business, to Avid Technology. Microsoft will keep a minority stake in Avid.

According to Avid, the deal is valued at $285 million in cash and stock. Upon completion of the deal, Microsoft will own about 9.1 percent of Avid's outstanding stock. It has agreed not to buy any more stock for five years, as well as maintain its investment for a minimum of three years. "

Five years eh? Hmmm.....

Now, when I saw it I didn't think much about the implications at the time. But now....well....9.1 percent is a nice chunk of a company. MS -> Avid -> Digidesign....

BTW FWIW.....MS stock is non voting in Apple and was part of the settlement over the OS lawsuit that had been ongoing since the 80's.

I am not trying to make this worse either....but you gotta admit the scenario is interesting.

Peace