Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Default Any one used a SSD

Any one using a SSD for the read Write drive?

Am thinking of grabbing one..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233085

digi?

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 01-28-2010, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Any one used a SSD

Not using one, but I've been looking at these at well, and one big issue that I can see with SSD for audio is used versus new data rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

From what I can understand, unless a drive is using TRIM, either in the OS or a utility, then the new vs used data rate can drop by almost half.
SSD without trim may be OK for drives with applications or sample libraries (which get read more than written) but not so good for drives that will be constantly rewritten like audio drives.

The drive you are looking at probably supports TRIM in firmware, but you will need to use either Win7 or a utility in win XP.

This article covers ssd in depth..

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=3631&p=2

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:11 PM

If I'm not mistaken, DUC'er Kirkgale's OS drive is a SSD running Windows 7 64 bit.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM

Yes, Third Eye’s got a good memory…
Have been using the Intel 160 GB SSD as the C drive for many months (XP at first and for the past 1 month on Win7 x64 running PT and lots of VI plug data).
Got so I ran outta room and have installed Samsung’s 250 GB SSD as the D drive for the rest of the VI’s sample data (that’s almost full too).
I can’t attest to my system being stable (still trying to run PCI-x cards through a mix of PCI-x and PCI slots) but that aside, BEWARE….you get addicted real fast to Win 7 loading in 9 seconds and to any Omnisphere, Strike, etc. selection loading in 1-ish second…(actually makes patch browsing possible again, like the old days when the samples were smaller).
Old 01-28-2010, 06:08 PM

Cool, What about read wite?

Is ther a problem with that?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:45 PM

As I really like using these SSD’s I’d love to answer you if I could figure out what you’re asking.
But note I’ve been too busy testing other things in the system to tell you about some micro-second read/write data. I can simply report that as the C drive fills up I move VI library data files to the D drive and I can’t go to the bathroom it happens so fast.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Ummm Yea ok man, I then take it that you read write to your c drive OS drive. Hmmmm

Well then.. I guess i have your take on that. Thanks

Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 PM

Are you maxing out a SATA drive? Modern drives spec what as high as 100MB/S. Those rates should easily be fast enough for all of pt's 128 voices.

Superfast SSD for OS is sweet for the reasons mentioned, but expensive per GB and probably wouldn't outperform a 2TB WD black or similiar (111MB/s should be enough for 400+ tracks).
Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Are you maxing out a SATA drive? Modern drives spec what as high as 100MB/S. Those rates should easily be fast enough for all of pt's 128 voices.

Superfast SSD for OS is sweet for the reasons mentioned, but expensive per GB and probably wouldn't outperform a 2TB WD black or similiar (111MB/s should be enough for 400+ tracks).
Slight correction. PT have a max 192 voices. You need an accel card in the DAW for this tho. A western digital black drive should be more then fast enough. Even for 192 tracks.
Best,
Brandon
Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkab View Post
Not using one, but I've been looking at these at well, and one big issue that I can see with SSD for audio is used versus new data rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

From what I can understand, unless a drive is using TRIM, either in the OS or a utility, then the new vs used data rate can drop by almost half.
SSD without trim may be OK for drives with applications or sample libraries (which get read more than written) but not so good for drives that will be constantly rewritten like audio drives.

The drive you are looking at probably supports TRIM in firmware, but you will need to use either Win7 or a utility in win XP.

This article covers ssd in depth..

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=3631&p=2

Good luck!
You don't really need W7, as you can get a "wiper" program to do the same in other programs. But W7 supports it natively, and W7 is optimized for SSDs. If you are looking to get an SSD, start looking at W7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Slight correction. PT have a max 192 voices. You need an accel card in the DAW for this tho. A western digital black drive should be more then fast enough. Even for 192 tracks.
Best,
Brandon
SSD will smoke HDDs. Read speads and with the newer generation, write speeds are staying above 150-200MB. None can catch the fast nature for SSDs. I wouldn't use a SSD as a recording drive YET, but System and sample drive is an all go.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro