Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 12:07 AM

Default >> Rolling back and forth between PT 7.3.1 and 7.4

Hello Guys

I want to start using 7.4, but based on history I know I will run into problems along the way that will require me to revert back. . . so I would like to have multiple PT versions, but I can't really do it with all my disk authorized VI's many which I have to argue to get authorizations on as it is. . . If I had a list of all the files/folder locations that are affected by upgrading to PT 7.4, I could write a script to copy all these folders to a safe place, do the 7.4 install, copy that to another safe place, and then copy back the system I wanted to use. I could even make images of the system disk on two separate backup drives, and copy back the necessary files to roll the system back and forth between PT versions. If everything was iLok this would not be a problem. . . Anyone tried anything like this? Anyone have a complete list of folders and files affected?
Old 11-23-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: >> Rolling back and forth between PT 7.3.1 and 7.4

Wouldn't it be easiest to just uninstall/install the Protools software?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:07 PM

If it is as simple as that that would be great. . . as long as there are no other differences that happen in the plugin folder, preferences, other folders/file. . . that are not properly cleaned up or become messed up with repeated uninstalls and reinstalls of different ProTools versions (7.3.1 cs5 and 7.4 in this case) and there may be some plug versions that are not compatible across these two ProTools versions, although I am not aware of that case yet.

It takes about 20 + hours to do a total reinstall with all the plugins, virtual instruments, sound libraries, disk authorizations, etc. . . so I want to try to avoid making a start from scratch mistake if possible.

Any more thoughts on this?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:40 PM

AFAIK, plugin compatibility should be same between 7.3 and 7.4 so no worries there. Also, regarding operating system version, I recommend using 10.4.8 which works well with both systems. Those are the two main issues, which luckily this time are non-issues.

Now in practice you will probably lose your preference file every time you install a new software, so if you want to keep your settings you need to locate the preference file and back it up manually, which is a little bit extra work (but that can be scripted).

Plugins should not be an issue as the Protools installer should only wipe the free plugins provided by Digidesign and BombFactory. If you want to have a little peace of mind, you can copy all other plugins to a subfolder within the plugin folder, leaving only those plugins behind which will be wiped and reinstalled with the Protools software.

Plugin settings will not be touched by the uninstaller, so those you can just leave alone (though periodic backup never hurts anyone).

Hope this helps!