Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Dolby LM100 emulation? (what is dialog?)

Quote:
Quote:
I just encountered what might be another issue using Audio Leak in place of an LM100: I'm working on a doc that has a lot of dialog spoken over aircraft comm systems in noisy situations. We've treated this dialog enough that it is perfectly intelligible, but the LM100 ignores ALL of it. This is the reverse of my earlier problem where it read certain kinds of noise as dialog. This sort of specific peculiarity of the LM100s measurement system that can cause you to end up with a different dialnorm score than what another instrument or software might yield, and your mix might end up being rejected because of it. This all has practically nothing to do with the quality of the mix, of course....

Philip Perkins
Hi Philip,

That’s an interesting comment, about “another issue using Audio Leak in place of an LM 100:”

In any case, AudioLeak doesn’t profess to be an LM 100 (as said above; sigh). Only an LM 100 is an LM 100.

Besides, an LM 100 costs money, and AudioLeak is a no-cost download.

BTW, I noticed that you’re located in Albany, CA - that’s in the East Bay area, isn’t it? Which would be just a few minutes’ drive (perhaps even shorter, on a BART train) from Dolby’s headquarters, in the San Francisco area.

Given your proximity, you might possibly know some folks that work at Dolby? Perhaps they could shed light on some of the questions raised in this thread? Inquiring minds, etc...

Thanks - Rob
I think you are taking offense that I'm warning mixers of network shows that using your excellent free software in place of the expensive Dolby LM100 can cause QC problems for them. I'm not actually addressing you in these posts, but other users like myself who are in the position of either buying into the Dolby meter or risking rejection of their mixes to the detriment of their reputations and their client's deadlines. I make these warnings because I tried to use Audio Leak myself in this fashion in a real world situation and things did not work out well. In spite of your statements that Audio Leak is not an LM100, there have been other posters besides me who have discussed the possibility of using it or other equipment or software to emulate the LM100, and that is the topic I am pursuing here. I have had numerous conversations with Dolby about these issues and the discussions are ongoing. You and I are in agreement, Audio Leak is not an LM100, but I think some of the observations I've made as to how this works out in practice are worth sharing with other users, many of whom are rightly questioning why they have buy an expensive piece of equipment to satisfy a network measurement requirement.

Philip Perkins CAS