How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Any training available?

Hi,
First, a little background. Ten years ago, while I was doing my Sound design program, I remember being introduced to the 1st version of Protools and while a debate was raging among us students about the "ethical aspects" of editing a mix (a debate long obsolete...), I was impressed and excited to see where DSP could take us...

So after graduation, I became more of a live sound engineer, simply because I like the performance aspect (and the travelling).
Only a few years ago did I decide to go back to Studioland and got myself a PT 6.1 LE 002R rig and one day it dawned on me that it would be great to use a 1176 on the drum bus live. After much reading on the DUC, I started incorporating the strengths of DSP in live situations and its been great! I can create 8 inserts with my 002R so if I find myself in a venue with lesser quality outboard (remember, I work mostly in Canada) well, how about a Fairchild on the voxes? Just keep your buffer at 128...

In brief, The best of both worlds. Quality and portability. I think its great that Digi crosses over to livesound and would like to know how can one participate? Is there training available or how can one become a Venue operator? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Old 03-25-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Any training available?

I do not know if there are any classes available for VENUE (yet).

In the meantime, what I'd suggest is to download each of the following from this here Digi site:
The D-Show QuickStart guide (small in size, big in information IMHO)
The D-Show Guide (the main installation and operating guide; it's hefty but very detailed, with lots of graphics of the console, racks, and other hardware)
and
The D-Show Standalone software

The standalone software can be run on pretty much any Windows XP machine, and as MattPete pointed out it is the same software as you'd see on-screen at a complete system. This will let you get your feet wet with D-Show, and you can refer to the QuickStart and main guide to fill in some blanks.

I know this isn't the same as being able to work on the full hardware system, but from what I've experienced the above 3 freebies would at least get you started in learning where everything is on the system, how routing is achieved, how snapshots are implemented and used, and dang near everything else. Another thing you can do with the standalone software is use all the Filing and transfer features; Set up a show (# of inputs, routing, channel names, etc), configure snapshots, and save them to disk. These can then be brought to a full system and loaded up (which could make you look like the king of all things D-Show when the opportunity arises).

It sounds like with your audio and touring experience, you could probably get a lot of mileage out of just these 3 items.

Hope this gives you somewhere to start, at least.
Halfmoon
Old 03-26-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Any training available?

Right, thanks for the links Halfmoon.
Although I'm on mac and cant use the standalone soft, at least I'll do the reading when time allows...
So how do engineers get to work with this beast? Venue systems are available to SR companies?
I believe there are only a handful around... probably in sunny cal, right?
Thanks,