Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2023, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Altiverb 8 released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Use Source-Connect with Aux IO. Works fine. Forget the link plugin. It's not needed anymore. Unless, I suppose, your using Source-Connect with RTS and need the Rewire plugin.
Definitely should give that a try. I don't use RTS.
I do, however, already use Aux IO with Zoom alongside Source Connect to patch clients into the sessions, with the talent on Source Connect. I guess I would have to setup another pair of 2 channel PTAB devices so I can use Zoom and SC at the same time.

Also, I tend to keep the Ignore Errors During Playback/Record box checked for Aux IO (definitely not for Main Playback Engine) to avoid pop ups and error dialogs for Aux IO. I would be a bit worried about getting dropouts in the SC feed if Ignore Errors was on, so I would probably want to turn that off. But then I'd be worried about dropping out of record during a take if there was an Aux IO issue.

I guess I should do some testing. But, honestly, it's not that big of a deal to launch in Rosetta for a VO session, then hop back to ARM native for mix.

Last edited by originalscottyg; 12-04-2023 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 12:19 PM

It's an essential upgrade for mac users because of silicon, but no Windows version yet.

Also irritated that although they now allow machine licenses, it's still strictly only 1 license per sale. If you need 2, you have to pay full price for a second. So I'll likely skip it - good though it is, there's too many other good options these days without that restriction.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-04-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Also irritated that although they now allow machine licenses, it's still strictly only 1 license per sale. If you need 2, you have to pay full price for a second. So I'll likely skip it - good though it is, there's too many other good options these days without that restriction.
Don't quote me on this (because it's been a while) but I needed multiple license for 7XL and I contacted them and they sold additional licenses at discount (they had to go to the same iLok account but that was it.)
Old 12-04-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Don't quote me on this (because it's been a while) but I needed multiple license for 7XL and I contacted them and they sold additional licenses at discount (they had to go to the same iLok account but that was it.)
Interesting. I have written to their support, will see what they have to say. Officially it couldn't be clearer (from the FAQ on the Altiverb web page):

Quote:
When you need to run the software in two locations (two rooms / two machines) at the same time this requires two licenses. This means purchasing two copies of the software. We do not offer any second license deals or discounts.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-04-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Interesting. I have written to their support, will see what they have to say. Officially it couldn't be clearer (from the FAQ on the Altiverb web page):
It might have been before this policy. Or our facility might be the reason this policy exists now.
Old 12-04-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I would be a bit worried about getting dropouts in the SC feed if Ignore Errors was on, so I would probably want to turn that off. 1
I’ve had more dropout issues with just using Source-Connect than I ever had with Aux IO. Always been solid for me. The Link plugin is just another version of Aux IO. Routing audio to/from a different application.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Proceed with caution!!

Completely unstable here! I can instantiate it on an Aux track but as soon as I assign a bus to that track, Pro Tools crashes.

In my default template session it is crashing whenever I instantiate it on an Aux or Instrument track with an input assigned.

Version 8.0.3 is the latest.

Doh!
I’ve just be sent a new build, (8.0.4) and the freezes/crashes are fixed here!!

Fantastic to have Altiverb back and delighted to see 8 is loading all my old version 7 Pro Tools plugin presets.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:23 AM

Quote:
For anyone who has been able to play with it yet, if you open a session that had Altiverb 7 in it, make some tweaks on a system with 8, and then move the session back to a system with only an Altiverb 7 license, will it still open, or once it hits 8, you'll have to stay on systems with 8?
I swapped back and forth between 7 and 8 and back to 7 a few times in testing and it was fine.
The only time it was a bit flakey was if the sessions had none factory impulses in them. If your sessions use the factory library it works. The file-path to the user impulses is crucial to get right.

Glad you got it working Dave.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Save the $199 and put it towards Cinematic Rooms Pro. IMHO.
Cinematic Rooms is great I agree and there are other fantastic algorithmic reverbs available now. Personally I don't think you get the range of tonality that is available with impulse reverbs and to me they just sound real.
IMHO they each have their place.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:29 AM

I have Cinematic Rooms Pro too and for me it replaces the Lexicon PCM more so than Altiverb. Same for Seventh Heaven. Altiverb is crucial for game and post work. Now that it goes beyond 5.1 plus ARM compatible makes it even more useful. Totally seamless in sessions with 7.