Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2002, 07:08 PM

Default Can I easily reset an entire track\'s volume to zero?

I reuse a particular ProTools file to create different mixes and updates of basically the same audio project each week. Can I easily clear all the volume changes I've made at the end of each week? I've been deleting the changes by going to the Volume display and cutting the full length of the file, but since I have changes to get rid of on 8 different tracks, I'm looking for a shortcut.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Can I easily reset an entire track\'s volume to zero?

I'm stuck on what you mean by 8 different ways... what do you mean by 'ways'? Playlists, tracks? Thanks-
Doc
Old 03-07-2002, 07:52 PM

Sorry--my typo. I meant to say on 8 different tracks.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:09 PM

When you edit automation on a track that is a member of an active Edit Group, the same type of automation (with the exception of audio and MIDI Pan controls) is also edited on all tracks that are part of that group. This occurs even if that parameter -like volume- is not currently displayed on the other grouped tracks.
There is an exception to this, and that happens when clearing a track. Unless all the automated tracks are showing the type (volume in this case) of automation you want to clear, then the automation on the track showing automation will be cleared but so will audio regions in the group dissappear if their volume animation isn't showing. To avoid this surprise:

Create a group for tracks whose automation you want to delete,(you could call it Vol Nix or something), then click on that group to make it active, display the volume automation on any of the group's tracks, (All tracks in the group should change to volume display) select the entire track of any one of the tracks with the select tool, (all Vol Nix tracks should highlight) press backspace. Bango, all volumes in the group are zero'd.
Click any track to return to waveform if you want, deselect Vol Nix group.
Then put a Soundelux U99 in a well-padded container, send to: Doc Blase' University Place, WA, 98467. The UPS guys know me really well.
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]