Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Default Mbox 2 Inaudible -10dB "noise" on one channel - hardware problem?

Hello all...

I have been using an MBox 2 since 2005 with no problems. Yesterday I turned it on and suddenly on Input #2 ("In 2" in ProTools), it looks as though there is a constant -10dB noise in that channel (i.e. the meter shows this noise even though I can't hear anything). This happens regardless of whether or not a mic is plugged in. It remains consistent regardless of the volume level of any of the knobs on the MBox, and remains consistent with Phantom Power on or off. Nothing I can select or change on the MBox itself affects it at all. I cannot hear anything in the channel and when I record something, the waveform looks fine, but simply displaced vertically above the center line about halfway to the top. When I play it back there is some fuzz in addition to the sound and a clear pop at the beginning and end of the track.

I have tried different mics, different cables, different USB cables, different power outlets in my house, I have done all the "dumping and cleaning out" business, and I have tried it on two computers running different versions of ProTools. So I suspect it must be a hardware issue. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? My MBox is surely out of warranty and free tech support. Is it worth attempting to get Digi to fix it or should I replace it? Any advice?

Here's the info:
MBox 2

Computer #1:
20" iMac purchased in Dec. 2008
OS 10.5.6
2 GB Ram
ProTools LE V 8.0

Computer #2:
12" PowerBook G4 purchased in Sep. 2005
OS 10.4.11
512 MB Ram
ProTools LE V. 7.0

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Inaudible -10dB "noise" on one channel - hardware problem?

I am having exactly the same problem, mine went down a couple of days ago, not really sure what caused it, but think it may have been a faulty microphone...

had any luck finding out what the problem is and how it can be resolved?

i have found people having the same problem on various forums, but so far no luck finding a solution
Old 03-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Avid

Have you tried installing the latest firmware for the Mbox 2? It may fix the problem.

This is assuming you've already trashed preferences and done a shut-down and unplugging/replugging of the Mbox 2.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreuso View Post
Hello all...

... the waveform looks fine, but simply displaced vertically above the center line about halfway to the top. When I play it back there is some fuzz in addition to the sound and a clear pop at the beginning and end of the track....
DC offset - could be hardware, could be software/firmware (though if I had to guess, I'd say hardware) - you need to eliminate all the software/firmware possibilities first - ideally, try the interface on someone else's LE system that's working - if you have the same problem then it's hardware and someone needs to repair the mBox.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 AM

I assume that the latest firmware for the Mbox2 is v. 1.43, correct?