Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2001, 08:11 PM

Default Interesting Problem

Caution - this is longwinded- apologies!
I have just upgraded my CPU to a G4 Quicksilver and have bought 2 x 36G Seagate Cheetah "hot swap" drives for a new project. My previous CPU was a G3 beige desktop. PCI cards are: Atto single SCSI accelerator; ATI Graphics card for running a second monitor and Magma expansion chassis PCI card.
I also have a Sony DDS4 for back-up via Retrospect 4.3.
1st day of recording went glitch free. 2nd day of recording - well I had to send everyone home!! First problem (and still existing) is I cannot back-up from either 36g drive to DDS4. I also have an 18g drive in the same chassis as the 36g and that works fine. Next problem was I couldn't record anything. I found out that I could inly use one type of PCI card for running 2 monitors with the G4 - all others would make the system un-operative. I installed an Appion Jeronimo PCI card. System records fine now but the DDS4 problem still exists. I have updated the Sony DDS firmware - still no joy. I have tested my RAM cards - no problem there. I have run Norton 6.0 - no problems.
Has anyone come across this strange problem?
My gut feeling is that I should be using a dual Atto acceleration card but nobody I have talked to tech wise has come up with that.
Help very much appreciated.
Old 11-18-2001, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Interesting Problem

Try removing the older 18gig from the other bay. Even if it isn't spun up. I had a similar situation last week where this curred the problem. Let me know if it works.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:29 PM

strangley enough, I have experienced only troubles whenever I used 36gb cheetah drives, on 4 different projects. 18gb cheetah drives are great, 72gb cheetah's are the best.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:14 PM

Similar Problem..........
Tried backing up from my 18 gig drives (cheetah) to my Firewire Superdisk (DVDR).
The only work around Ive found is to copy it to a backup IDE and then burn ....very irritating.
The actual problem is the SCSI loses communication during the burn.
I have the same setup as you except my mac is a Dual 450
Old 11-20-2001, 08:03 AM

Thanks DrumPro77 for your suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't work. Same problem. I can't even copy from one drive to another now (36g to 19g) without the system locking up.