Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2016, 02:42 PM

Default Running an S3 and being hardwired to internet

Thanks in advance for any help. I've searched around a little but can't yet find an answer. Before I buy an S3 I want to make sure my studio computer can still get online. I'm running a Radar Studio which is a system that utilizes a Windows computer. So I'm running Win 8 with PT 11.3.2. I'm currently using the computers ethernet port to be hardwired online since my WIFI router is at the opposite end of the building. I understand that I may be able to add a PCI or PCIe ethernet card to the machine to run both the S3 and be online, but I was wondering about a switch or hub that would be easier and not involve any new cards. I apologize, I've been a Mac guy for decades and this system has me back on a Win machine and I'm a bit lost in general.

Thank you
Old 09-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Avid

Default Re: Running an S3 and being hardwired to internet

You can buy a simple switch (4-5 ports) then connect that to S3, cable for Internet, and PC. Note, that won't support AVB audio though. But, I'm guessing that's irrelevant in your case since you have a Radar system.
Berkeley, CA
Old 09-03-2016, 10:19 AM

Thanks Kyle,
Any hub recommended? Yes, not set up with an AVB interface now. Is there a workaround for that I assume for people who need their ethernet port for online access but want to use Eucon gear?
Old 09-03-2016, 04:33 PM

It can happily all work together, sans the AVB as Kyle mentioned.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 09-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKmusic View Post
Thanks Kyle,
Any hub recommended? Yes, not set up with an AVB interface now. Is there a workaround for that I assume for people who need their ethernet port for online access but want to use Eucon gear?
Don't buy a hub. Buy a switch. You don't have to buy anything expensive. I'd just check Amazon reviews, etc.

Not sure I understand your workaround question. Setup I mentioned above allows for both EUCON and Internet access.
Berkeley, CA
Old 09-04-2016, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Don't buy a hub. Buy a switch. You don't have to buy anything expensive. I'd just check Amazon reviews, etc.

Not sure I understand your workaround question. Setup I mentioned above allows for both EUCON and Internet access.
Sorry, I was asking about a workaround for AVB audio - for future reference. But that's not important right now. Thank you
Old 09-12-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post

Thanks again Kyle. Just to clarify. I am running PT 11 on Windows 8. I'm reading some confusing posts online - I can use the S3 with a windows machine right?