Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Yankeemix Yankeemix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 42
Default Keyboard Static sound issue

I have my Motif connected to the 003 Console 5/6. When I play the keys on the keyboard there is a static sound ? I also have humming sound while the keyboard is on and audio cables connected.

When the keyboard is off the humming sound is gone, however if I turn the volume way up I can hear that same static noise. If I unplug the audio cable from the console then it's gone completely.

I also have this issue with the monitor knob on the console. There is a loud static sound every time I turn the knob.
__________________
Music production: http://www.myflowbeats.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:40 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 13,584
Default Re: Keyboard Static sound issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemix View Post
I have my Motif connected to the 003 Console 5/6. When I play the keys on the keyboard there is a static sound ? I also have humming sound while the keyboard is on and audio cables connected.

When the keyboard is off the humming sound is gone, however if I turn the volume way up I can hear that same static noise. If I unplug the audio cable from the console then it's gone completely.

I also have this issue with the monitor knob on the console. There is a loud static sound every time I turn the knob.
One possiblity to the humming sound is probably a ground issue - is all your equipment plugged into the same AC outlet? If not - do so. Another is the audio output on the Motif (you don't say what version you have) is an unbalanced connection and I don't know what's on the 003. If the 003 is a balanced connection that could be the issue.

As to the static sound there could be a couple of issues. One is the cables - you may need new ones. Another is iffy connections due to dirty connections. A little isopropyl alcohol and q-tips should do the job.

The sound you're hearing when you turn the knob on the 003 is due to a dirty pot. To clean that unplug the unit and open it up. Get some contact cleaner, spray it into the back of the pot and turn the pot several times. I'm making an assumption here that the pot is an analog control.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Yankeemix Yankeemix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 42
Default Re: Keyboard Static sound issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
One possiblity to the humming sound is probably a ground issue - is all your equipment plugged into the same AC outlet? If not - do so. Another is the audio output on the Motif (you don't say what version you have) is an unbalanced connection and I don't know what's on the 003. If the 003 is a balanced connection that could be the issue.

As to the static sound there could be a couple of issues. One is the cables - you may need new ones. Another is iffy connections due to dirty connections. A little isopropyl alcohol and q-tips should do the job.

The sound you're hearing when you turn the knob on the 003 is due to a dirty pot. To clean that unplug the unit and open it up. Get some contact cleaner, spray it into the back of the pot and turn the pot several times. I'm making an assumption here that the pot is an analog control.
Yes, all my equipment are plugged into the same outlet. It's the Motif XS8

Unbalanced connection from Motif to 003 5/6 - See pic. I disconnected the cable so you don't see it in the pic. https://ibb.co/cq1nfv https://ibb.co/kZwyna

Audio cables connected to the main inputs of the 003 are also unbalanced cables. - See pic
https://ibb.co/enJptF

And where would I use the Isopropyl alcohol to clean?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-07-2017, 04:05 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 13,584
Default Re: Keyboard Static sound issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemix View Post
Yes, all my equipment are plugged into the same outlet. It's the Motif XS8

Unbalanced connection from Motif to 003 5/6 - See pic. I disconnected the cable so you don't see it in the pic. https://ibb.co/cq1nfv https://ibb.co/kZwyna

Audio cables connected to the main inputs of the 003 are also unbalanced cables. - See pic
https://ibb.co/enJptF

And where would I use the Isopropyl alcohol to clean?
Use the IPA and q-tips to clean the contacts of the connections; you may have to take the cover off the 003 to get to them. Do this with the unit unplugged.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-07-2017, 07:35 AM
jeam25's Avatar
jeam25 jeam25 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: P.R.
Posts: 1,998
Default Re: Keyboard Static sound issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemix View Post
Audio cables connected to the main inputs of the 003 are also unbalanced cables.
Hi !

Just to let you know that when i use unbalanced audio cables from my 003 to my actve mackies monitors i get a ground always ..I have to use balance not shure why . Does not hurt trying balance cables there if you have a pair avialable .
__________________
- Jesus Alvarado -

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - i7 CPU 4770k
Asus A97-AR mobo - 32gb DDR3 ram
Samsung 850 evo SSD 500gb - Radeon 470rx
Corsair 750w PSU
Lynx Aurora 8
Digi003 mixer - Protools 10\12 bundle - Driver 8.0.4b
Avalon 2022 - Octane 8
Uad 2 quad - Waves Gold
McDsp Emerald - Duy Everpack
Tc Powercore Firewire
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 PM
Yankeemix Yankeemix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 42
Default Re: Keyboard Static sound issue

Sorry for the late response.

Okay so I got balanced cables and it eliminated the humming sound completely. So that worked.

As for the static knob turning sound. Cleaning the dirty pot sounds interesting. I will make sure to work on that this week and let you know if it fixes the problem.

Now to work on some drum kits.
__________________
Music production: http://www.myflowbeats.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2017, 03:29 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 13,584
Default Re: Keyboard Static sound issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemix View Post
Sorry for the late response.

Okay so I got balanced cables and it eliminated the humming sound completely. So that worked.

As for the static knob turning sound. Cleaning the dirty pot sounds interesting. I will make sure to work on that this week and let you know if it fixes the problem.

Now to work on some drum kits.
Glad the cable deal worked. Hopefully the pot cleaning will work as well - just remember to unplug the unit from the AC mains.

Putting together drum kits from separate drum samples can be a challenge. One of the hardest things is getting the levels to sit well with each other kit piece. Especially cymbals.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Yankeemix Yankeemix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 42
Default Re: Keyboard Static sound issue

I hear the static sound again when I play each key on the keyboard. It was working a few days ago. I don't think it can be from the cables because the humming sound is still gone.

I restarted the computer and turned off and on the console and the keyboard. Still the same.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Yankeemix Yankeemix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 42
Default Re: Keyboard Static sound issue

Here how it sounds.

https://we.tl/9L9JxKARxX
__________________
Music production: http://www.myflowbeats.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-2017, 12:12 AM
Yankeemix Yankeemix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 42
Default Re: Keyboard Static sound issue

So I cleaned the pot and no more noise when I turn the monitor knob.

However I don't know why I get a static sound when I play on the keyboard. This comes and goes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Static and distortion of sound while keyboard is plugged in to Digi 002 chumzels General Discussion 10 06-13-2014 03:46 PM
PT Crackling Static Noise/Sound - Sample Rate Issue gavriil1 Pro Tools 10 Discussion 5 11-27-2012 07:39 PM
Static Sound When Keyboard Plugged In??? Ransom Pro Tools Software (Mac) 2 12-27-2010 09:26 PM
002 96k recording issue..static Chrisfx 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 4 06-25-2010 01:00 PM
constant NOISE sound and Static/Poping sound jaynyc 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 3 09-13-2007 10:10 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com