Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-02-2019, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Apple iMac Pro 8-core or 10-core for PT 2019?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becharax View Post
Hello,

I am currently using the iMac Pro 8 core with Pro Tools 2018.12 and SUPER heavy on plugins you can check my list here:

https://equipboard.com/becharasaliba

Honestly, I was a fan of always updating the OS to the latest one and running into bugs back since 2001 ....

It's the first time I am running a super stable System knock on wood but thin is I am running High Sierra 10.13.6 and I will never ever update ?

Think again ... why would you wanna update to Mojave ?
Thanks for your input. First, your plugin collection is impressive, but "alarming", I hope you don't lose track of :) Please could you tell me how many instances of U-He DIVA you are able to run simultaneously without interrupts on your imac pro 8-core?

The idea behind Mojave was only because of the plan to buy an iMac Pro which will be delivers nowadays with Mojave. AFAIK an OS-downgrade is not recommended/will cause several issues, or am I wrong?
Old 05-02-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digifactory View Post
Thanks for your input. First, your plugin collection is impressive, but "alarming", I hope you don't lose track of :) Please could you tell me how many instances of U-He DIVA you are able to run simultaneously without interrupts on your imac pro 8-core?

The idea behind Mojave was only because of the plan to buy an iMac Pro which will be delivers nowadays with Mojave. AFAIK an OS-downgrade is not recommended/will cause several issues, or am I wrong?
Well when I bought my iMac Pro In July 2018 High Sierra 10.13.3 was installed. So you can safely install a fresh copy of High Sierra 10.13.6 which is the most stable OS I have been running since ages !!
Be careful though that the imac pro has new security features which you should disable first so you can install a fresh copy of the OS from a usb stick !
Mojave seems to be a decent OS as I read lately with more bells and whistles than High Sierra !
I will test what you asked me for sometime in my studio
macOS 14.3
Pro Tools 2024.3
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 05-02-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becharax View Post
Well when I bought my iMac Pro In July 2018 High Sierra 10.13.3 was installed. So you can safely install a fresh copy of High Sierra 10.13.6 which is the most stable OS I have been running since ages !!
Be careful though that the imac pro has new security features which you should disable first so you can install a fresh copy of the OS from a usb stick !
Mojave seems to be a decent OS as I read lately with more bells and whistles than High Sierra !
I will test what you asked me for sometime in my studio
Ok, thanks for your effort. Awaiting your reply.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:58 AM

No need for testing. I ordered an iMac Pro 10 Core and will see the results by myself this week
Old 09-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digifactory View Post
No need for testing. I ordered an iMac Pro 10 Core and will see the results by myself this week
HI! Would love to hear your results! In a similar boat myself, upgrading my system soon, and really curious as to the performance of the 10 core, as that is really where technically speaking there should be a performance difference with the Xeon processor.

Thanks!