Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-11-2019, 02:39 PM

Default Some Operation and Editing Questions

I'm currently working on a couple projects where I need to create a lead sheet with chords and lyrics and all that. I use the MIDI in PT to create the lead line and chords, and then export to Sibelius to add the lyrics and other notations as needed. Since I've never really used PT before now to do this sort of thing, I've run into a couple things where perhaps there's better ways to accomplish the task.

First of all, I like the extract chord feature a lot. But what I've noticed is that if I don't put in the root position (first inversion ie C would be C-E-G), then it shows the chord as, say C/G or C/E. I've checked the manual, but I can't seem to find a way to tell it just identify the root chord. Its TOO exacting! Is there a way to do that? It would be a real time saver as often when I'm composing, I'll just play on my keyboard controller and record the MIDI. It would be nice if PT could just id the underlying chords. But I'm not seeing any options other than simply selecting "Extract Chords". Its great that it puts them right in the chord line, but I have to always go back and manually edit more than 1/2 every time.

Secondly, is there a way to make the chord line in the edit window bigger? Sometimes its just hard to read it!

Third - Is there a more efficient way to accomplish all this? I just want to speed up the process as it seems to take quite a while to get it all just right. At the end of the day, all I'm after from PT is a 1 staff line with the melody, and the chords showing above the line. Once I have that, I can easily export to Sibelius to complete the rest with lyrics etc.