Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 04-14-2018, 08:07 AM

Default Cloud Collaboration Seems fragile.

I've paid for the 10GB cloud collaboration and have been testing it with various projects. Mainly I have been testing with post projects of various sizes and I've found that it works well sometimes, but often the person receiving the project has difficulty. I've had people trying on various versions of Pro Tools from 12.7.1 through 2018.4. Common problems include downloading partial tracks, downloading all tracks, but not all media, Assertion errors, stalling while downloading media. Its been so difficult and unreliable to get a project transferred, it just doesn't seem useable.

On my side, sending a project with Pro Tools 12.7.1 everything seems smooth. its just the recipients that seem to be having troubles.

The latest project I've tried is a 97 minute television show. An AAF from Media composer that was put into a mix template and synced to the cloud.

I would be interested to hear others experience with long projects. If anyone is interested in testing this more, i'd be happy tho try.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Cloud Collaboration Seems fragile.

The last version that contained a number of collaboration fixes was 12.8, so I would at least use that version on both ends.

I haven't used it for really big or long projects, so I can't comment on that. My projects are usually on the smaller side, but like any internet based service, I do find that sometimes it just takes a lot longer to sync than others.

System Details
Old 04-16-2018, 07:01 PM

well I've just struggled through a 30 minute long session at was unsuable!

Things took to long to upload. Protools stopped uploading, multiple restarts I could go on!

Not very impressed TBH
Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 PM

Would love to hear some real-life professional cloud collaboration stories...
Old 04-21-2018, 01:22 PM

I had upgraded to 12.8, and a day later I had a session (not project) get an assertion error that resulted in all the clips being reorganized in the timeline for a 90 minute feature, and corrupted every backup made during that day! (was able to go to previous day's backup, posted in another thread here). So, i'm back to 12.71.

I'm right now bravely trying it on another project. I'm being very careful to monitor each step. So far I've uploaded to the cloud, but nobody has tried to access it yet. I'll update any interesting info to see how that goes. What I do notice is the system feels more sluggish, even after the uploads have completed. I've turned off the auto update for the project, but I'm constantly met with a spinning wheel and general sluggishness as i'm editing. I save a copy as a session rather than project and its all ok.

Also, its super annoying if I close a project and reopen too soon I'm greeted with a "Cancelling Previous Upload" message. So now I need to wait an indefinite amount of time (seems to be about 2 or 3 minutes) or hit cancel, not knowing what process I'm really cancelling. What I think is happening is each audio file or change on a track gets uploaded individually, and the communication to the server to cancel each one takes a moment, and with a lot of clips & tracks that takes awhile.

What has worked for me is someone downloading as session from google drive, and making 3 new tracks to lay in some FX, and sharing those 3 tracks with me. I import them into my timeline very easily, which saves me a few mouseclicks.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:50 AM

After letting a project sync overnight and it still didn't finish, I decided to cancel and upgrade to 12.8 to see if those bug fixes sorted out the problem. After upgrading, I can no longer open any of the projects that I had on my computer. These were created from sessions with "Save Copy In" so I haven't lost any work. This again makes me feel very uncertain about this feature. I greatly want it to work, but seems not ready for prime time.

What I'm hoping for here is someone will say that they upgraded to version 2018.xx and now its working flawlessly with large projects. Until then I'll just use it to small amounts of data.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactivesound View Post
After letting a project sync overnight and it still didn't finish, I decided to cancel and upgrade to 12.8 to see if those bug fixes sorted out the problem. After upgrading, I can no longer open any of the projects that I had on my computer. These were created from sessions with "Save Copy In" so I haven't lost any work. This again makes me feel very uncertain about this feature. I greatly want it to work, but seems not ready for prime time.

What I'm hoping for here is someone will say that they upgraded to version 2018.xx and now its working flawlessly with large projects. Until then I'll just use it to small amounts of data.
Have you tried contacting Avid support with this issue? They could probably check both sides of the connection and give you some insight into what the problem could be. Like I said earlier, my projects are small and seem to work fine, but maybe there is an issue syncing larger projects that they need to know about.

System Details
Old 06-04-2019, 04:31 PM

I just spent some time with Avid tracking a similar issue down. It came down to something pretty simple: LOG OUT of Pro Tools, then LOG BACK IN. You don't even have to close out Pro Tools. Rebooting the machine has NO impact. You must log out then back in. After I did that, everything pushed up to collaboration! I have spent almost 2 weeks trying to troubleshoot this.

I hope this helps someone.