Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2001, 09:23 AM

Default ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THIS DAE ERROR?

I AM GETTING DAE ERROR 9017 SLOW DISK AND FRAGMENTED .
ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
PEACE!
Old 05-24-2001, 09:49 AM

Default Re: ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THIS DAE ERROR?

But the error just tells you that: Your disk may be to slow or fragmented. Try disabling open ended disk allocation in the Preferences>Operations menu and set a limit, like 10 minutes. Also consider using a defragment utility like Norton Speedisk on your audio hard drive.

Z
Old 05-24-2001, 10:19 AM

HEY THANK ZEUS. I WILL TRY THAT ONE.

TO ALL OTHER DIGIHEADS,ANY OTHER HELP WOULD BE GREAT!
Old 05-25-2001, 01:04 AM

Big J.
Using Norton is a good idea, but I couldn't resist to warn you to backup your stuff before you do so. Even Norton isn't 100% safe in defrag ! Happy to help you

Old 05-25-2001, 10:53 AM

You can also increase the DAE buffer ,down side is performance is sme times slower.
SK
Old 05-25-2001, 02:35 PM

We get this error all the time on our PTIII systems. First thing we check is the physical integrity of the scsi bus - i.e. loose connectors, bent pins, frayed cables etc... 9/10 times this is the problem, especially if the drive's access light is frozen on.
Failing that, check the disk with Norton Speed Disk. The value to be concerned about is the fragments of free space. It is possible to have lots of free space on a drive, but broken into tiny little pieces and spread all over. ProTools much prefers large chunks of empty space, particularly when recording. Speed Disk does not consider fragments of free space when classifying a disk as "light" "moderate" or "heavy" only fragments of files.
If you need to defrag your drive, do 2 things first: Backup, and run Norton Disk Doctor. Keep running it until it reports "no problems found" Speed Disk runs some superficial tests before touching a disk, but it is not to be relied on. We have had more than one drive totally corrupted by speed disk.
One final suggestion: connect your dive to the fastest scsi bus you have. defragging can be a slow process - and never ever run anything Norton on a drive connected to the PTIII scsi bus.
Old 05-31-2001, 01:01 PM

this also happens if you are attempting to record audio on you internal system disc which is very slow (perhaps unknowingly due to wrong disc allocation, it happend to me!)

Mark
Old 05-31-2001, 06:17 PM

i recently had the same problem. rather than running speed disk which can take forever, i copied all my sessions to another drive, deleted the originals, and then copied them back. worked great.

i guess this could be risky but i also had a network backup to fall back on if neccesary.

Old 05-31-2001, 07:36 PM

I wouldn't use Norton because it can sometimes cause problems on audio drives.

If it is a new drive and falls under the Digi specs, it is probaly not fragmented.

I had this error, and spent weeks fixing it I hope I can help, at least save you some time, Here goes.

I Baught a desk star 40 gig drive, I was useing it to record audio, and my Scussi as the start up drive, and got that error, I had to switch that arrangement, and use the Scussi for Audio formated with ATTO, and all was fine. With out an ata 66 card (i think thats what its called) early blue and white G3s wont work with out it, if your G3 has an extra slot to hold another ATA on top of the one you have allready you should be in good shape.

You could try to partion the drive, even though many say it does not help digi tech support had me do that to mine, but I have an early BW G3 and the ATA drive will only work as a start up/ system drive Not for audio.

I have loads of notes on this error, I am no computer tech but I would be happy to share what I wrote down from being on the phone with digi for 2 weeks, feel free to e-mail me.

Best of luck

Notefarm
"What Games Shall We Play Today?"

Old 06-05-2001, 10:23 AM

i had the same problem
tried all the obvious fixes, defrag,files alocatted between drives,less edits,etc.
nothing seemed to work.
i purchased a power domain2930 scsi accelerator and it fixed everything