Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-02-2006, 10:04 PM

Default I woke up and it wasn\'t a bad dream after all!!

I have a G5/2.5/4gigsRam/002r/PT7/focusrite octepre/
please somebody help me..this has to be a PT problem because I've had 3 or 4 others email me with the same issue wondering if I'd fixed it..when I posted 2 weeks ago... I've been out of town so i was starting to hope that somehow it was just a bad dream...
i can't tell you how excited I was to get down into the studio tonight and do some good work only to be sorely disappointed...

the history:
So i bought this g5 with 2 gigs ram installed.. very groovy.. but typically I use a lot of tracks and some softsynth stuff along with a modicum of plus ins..so even though I'm doing what I've always done. ie record at 128 mix and edit at 1024 I still get the"I want to smash this stupid computer why did I ever sell my tape machine" otherwsie known as the dreaded "operating system held off too long.. bla bla try increasing bla bla bla (6086).." message
so i figure, HEY! I know.. get PT 7 and 2 more gigs of overpriced fancy Mac Ram.. then I'll be cruising.. right?

Wrong! it's worse than ever.. I can be running 4 tracks , no plug ins, nothing, and THE message comes up..if I increase the buffer to 256 i get latency which i can live with it except that it doesn't hold up more than 50% of the time..

YES i checked the RAM.. the G4 "sees" it.
YES I've removed it and re-installed it.
All my other apps are lightening fast..photshop,final cut, soundtrack.. so what's up guys!!
sdjavascript:void(0)
Old 03-02-2006, 10:32 PM

Default Re: I woke up and it wasn\'t a bad dream after all!!

well.... it happens...
PT 7 seems like is not too stable...if fact is not stable...
people should know that a G5 and 2+ of RAM will NOT have you crusin with Pro Tools..
I have a G5 and run PT7 and I get those same errors for no freaking reason...
I just keep working and sometimes it happens, but luckly most of the time it doesn't...
Old 03-02-2006, 10:34 PM

What Mac OS version are you using?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:44 PM

I actually have 4 gigs of RAM and the problem got worse when I added the new RAM..
I am running 10.4.5.. come back PT6.9.. all is forgiven!!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:54 PM

10.4.5 if not yet supported by Digi...10.4.3 is the last one that Digi supported...
Old 03-02-2006, 10:56 PM

Peoples! If you are not getting some sort of good performance of Pro Tools with 1 or 2 Gb RAM...
Do NOT go and buy more...
Old 03-02-2006, 11:22 PM

So maybe this is the issue...the Mac OS!! Oh [bleep].. can I go back and put 10 .4 .3 in?

and yeah I know maybe I shouldn't have bought the extra RAm but it always seemed to me that the more ram you have for these things the better they run.. at least the macs I've owned for the last 15 years did.. has something changed? Less Ram is good?
I'm confused man..
Old 03-02-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Re: I woke up and it wasn\'t a bad dream after all!

pt only uses 2 gigs max of ram 2.5 will be sufficient for total onboard ram to run pt and the OS. you must check all 3rd party plugs for updates for 7.0 and maybe it will get a little better
Old 03-02-2006, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Less Ram is good?
No, but more RAM doesn't help further at some point.
Have a look at the OS X Activity Monitor (Applications Utilities) on the System Memory tab to figure out what your system is actually using. If there's already lots of free (unused) RAM left, adding another Gig won't improve anything.

Unfortunately there's no "Undo" button for OS upgrades....
Going back to 10.4.3 means reinstalling from the supplied Tiger CD and then applying the correct upgrade package (downloaded from the Apple site) related to the CD version.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
pt only uses 2 gigs max of ram 2.5 will be sufficient for total onboard ram to run pt and the OS. you must check all 3rd party plugs for updates for 7.0 and maybe it will get a little better
Although PT won't make use of all that RAM, RTAS plugins may do. Reason, MachFive etc can be very RAM hungry.
I upgraded to 4.5GIG and noticed a dramatic improvement in virtual instrument performance (but I use a lot of VI's!).
Depends if you use a lot of VI's.

It's my guess that neither 10.4.4 OR 10.4.5 will be supported by Digi.... 10.4.4 is by all accounts terribly unstable, and 10.4.5 seems to create lots of buffer underrun errors.

If you stick with 10.4.3, and the latest PTLE update it's as stable as PT has EVER been (and that's really solid!)

PT7 is more sensitive to plugins being up to date though. But if your plugs are up to date, then it rocks.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe