Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-27-2000, 02:58 PM

Default Woke up this mornin\'

(I couldn't stand to wait, and had to post this to the group immediately. Please don't forward it, or my acquaintance could be in big trouble.)

The other day, a friend of mine from HBO sneaked me in to see an upcoming episode of The Sopranos. You guys aren't going to believe this. Tony Soprano is a Opcode SVP user(with Digidesign Mix+ hardware, of course)!

The show I saw opens up with Tony and his pals sneaking behind Carmella's back and setting up a very well equipped MIDI studio in a back room of the Bada-Bing! night club. Tony had Christopher and the boys hijack a fully loaded semi from MARS, and they got all the gear they needed with the exception of a copy of SVP (which they had to download from the web using a stolen credit card number). They set the studio up running SVP 4.5.1 with ProTools Mix+ on a 500 Mhz G4, with every software plug-in, synth, mic and piece of outboard gear in the book. They were even able to get their hands on a pre-release version of an Avid designed dual monitor AGP card! No -6042 errors!

Next, Tony, Pussy and Christopher get together and attempt to write some hit songs. Their intention is to assemble a nice demo for Meadow (Tony's daughter) which they plan to shop to Hesh's record label. They figure it won't be any problem getting Meadow's material into all the juke boxes, at least in New Jersey.

Late at night, after the club has closed and everyone has left, Tony sits down in front of the computer, fires up a big stogie, and gets ready for a long session of vocal track comping (Meadow's singing isn't all that great). While he's in the middle of this project, he gets a call on his cell phone from a guy in the Nashville mob. The person on the other end of the line tells him that Henry from Gibson has put a hold on all further development of SVP!!! Needless to say, Tony is very angry and distraught. He totally loves SVP, but he was really hoping for destructive editing (mafia guys really like destruction), AudioSuite support, and TDM plug-in automation in a future version. He was also very concerned that OMS might not work with OS X.

As the minutes tick on, Tony breaks into a sweat, and is so overwhelmed with emotion at the thought of SVP being discontinued that he suffers another one of his famous panic attacks. As he passes out, his big, meaty head crashes through the computer screen (Les Paul and Mary Ford's "Running Wild" is playing in the background all through this scene). Fortunately, one of the Bada-Bing! dancers returns because she left her purse. She discovers Tony passed out, and calls for an ambulance.

Tony spends several weeks in the hospital recovering. After he's released, he makes an appointment with his psychiatrist to discuss his panic attacks and his issues with the sudden termination of Opcode SVP. At the counseling session, he talks to Dr. Melfi about his anxiety over the possibility of needing to switch to Logic, Digital Performer, Cubase or Pro Tools.

Dr. Melfi gives him good advice. She tells him that he's still confused because Livia, his mother, persuaded Junior to try to have him whacked. Melfi goes on to say that only a cowardly fool would forsake SVP at this point in time. She encourages him to stick to his guns and continue to use the sequencer with the most streamlined and powerful UI, SVP. Dr. Melfi renews his Prozac prescription, and sends him on his merry way.

In the last scene, we see Tony, Pussy, Paulie, Christopher and Furio throw a few Louisville sluggers into the trunk of a big Mercedes sedan, pile in, and head off into the setting sun towards Nashville to have a little "chat" with the Gibson folks. Country music swells up as the picture fades, and we hear Charlie Pride singing "Oh, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors" as the credits roll.

I can't wait to see the next episode.

Lee Blaske

[This message has been edited by Lee Blaske (edited February 27, 2000).]
Old 02-28-2000, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Woke up this mornin\'

Lee
Have you checked out the album that the theme song comes from?
It's "Exile On Coldharbour Lane" by Alabama 3
They're a bunch of Welsh guys, living in my London manor of Brixton, who met in re-hab, somehow got $$$$ from Geffen,and delivered this record that the record co were a little non-plussed by......so.........put your feet up...crack open an "Old Purple Tin" and prepare to grin...!!

Cheers

Ade
Old 02-28-2000, 10:50 AM

Well written Lee, I am super freakin' whizzed off about SVP going away.....

I mean it is OMS we all use.....as in the adjustable wrench = "The crescent wrench".

These punks have no respect for "the old ways", from "the old country".....too much bada-bing these days if you ask me.

e
Old 02-28-2000, 02:03 PM

Very good except......

Charlie Rich, not Charlie Pride did "Behind Closed Doors"..

and you know there is NO Nashville Mob..

George Cumbee
Classic Recording Franklin (Nashville) TN www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com