Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-01-2003, 08:31 AM

Default which windows driver

I need to purchase a sound editor. I am running winXP and PTLE with the digi 001. I have the ASIO driver installed.

So, am I understanding this correctly...
In order for the DIGI 001 to work with other audio programs, I need to uninstall the ASIO driver and install the WAVE DRIVER.

If this is true, are there any repercussions or drawbacks that will change the functionality of PTLE and the Digi 001?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2003, 02:45 PM

Default Re: which windows driver

If you need to edit audio only (no midi-stuff involved, or only minor), why not stick to PT? PT is one of the best non-destructive audio-editors around...

If you need to get something else: ASIO is a bit like the wave-driver, but you get more in- and outputs with the asio-driver.

Some editors only work with ASIO-cards, some only work with the wave-devices available in windows itself. If you post the name of the editor you are considering, or share what you are trying to accomplish, people can give some less generic advise...

Bastiaan
Old 07-01-2003, 03:04 PM

Bastiaan, you are saying that I lose the multiple outputs of the digi 001 when WAVE-DRIVER is installed. If that's true, then I will definitely stick with the ASIO driver.

I just hate to always have to 'bounce to disk' when I am done editing. A simple SAVE in .wav format would help tremendously... I am wondering if there is a better version of PT exists that has a SAVE option.

Is this an issue with anyone else?
Old 07-01-2003, 03:18 PM

you dont have to use the wave-driver or the ASIO-driver with ptle.

Yes, the wave-driver only uses 2 inputs/outputs.

If you want to do a "save" with ptle....not possible, but there's a little workaround provided you didnt use RTAS plugins.

select the track you want to "save", and create a duplicate. Select the duplicated track and choose "consolidate" from the region menu (i think its there...). Then you select that newly created region, and you select "export selected as waveform", also from the region-menu.

Any automation will be gone. Any RTAS-plugin will be gone...

Other then that it works great.

Bastiaan
Old 07-01-2003, 10:38 PM

"...no RTAS plugins..."

What's the use??? This is a shortcoming.... I understand that PT is a digital simulation of a multitrack tape recorder , but it's hard to understand why there is no export to .wav or save as .wav.

There needs to be some kind of way to maintain the digi 001 multiple inputs/outputs functionality along with compatibility among other software vendors.

MOTU does it...

Is this really asking too much???
Old 07-02-2003, 01:56 AM

The answer to this last question is ASIO; it's the only driver that will allow you to use a third party, non-Digi software and use all of it's I/O with the 001 (or other digi HW); be aware of the following things though: some softwares don't work with ASIO, like Sound Forge; ASIO as well as the Wave Driver wrecked havoc on my system so that I had to start from scratch and reconfigure everything; my (painful) solution is to have 2 partitions on the C drive and use one NTFS with Win XP for PT 5.3.1 and another FAT32 with Win 98SE for all of the other editing and burning softwares, running with the Wave Driver, which seemed to be a little more stable on that OS; that is the only way I managed to have a working and stable system and be able to run all of the softwares I need beyond Pro Tools.

I hope this helps

L.G.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:47 AM

I don't want to have to reconfigure my whole system again to solve this problem. Here's a thought, though...

What if I install another sound card and just use that sound card for audio editing. This way I can use other audio software.

is this a possible solution???
Old 07-02-2003, 11:42 AM

It is a good solution. Just make sure the 2 will tolerate eachother. A lot of people do this.

There's still something i dont understand though. You are willing to give up the best audio-editor because you dont want to wait for the bounce to disk. I must agree that the bounce to disk is annoying, and other programs do it quicker. But PTLE is such a good editor and mixingapplication i simply learned to live with it. After all....i am mainly mixing and editing, and i only do a couple of bounces per song, and IMO its always good to have a good listen to the song before sending it off, or burning it to cd anyway....

Bastiaan
Old 07-03-2003, 12:50 AM

The two soundcard workaround could be a good solution, do a search on the DUC, there should be several infos from users who successfully managed to make two soundcards live together on the same machine; it will take you some IRQ and PCI slot testing, but you ultimately should make it; my advice is get a reasonable quality sound card, otherwise all of the audio generated and manipulated on PT will sound bad thru a bad soundcard's converters when you use the other softwares.

L.G.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:43 AM

I just figure that it's better to have a dedicated audio editor. PT is kool, but it doesn't support alot of features that I am used used to working with...

I will check into the two soundcard option, even though I'd much rather work strictly with the DIGI 001...

Peace