Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-22-2006, 12:57 AM

Default > Shuffle Mode and Markers

I keep coming across a problem with Shuffle mode and markers when re-arranging songs. I enable the ALL group and even when I select all the tracks, including everything in the timeline such as the Marker track, the markers often do not move with the regions when pasting or duplicating a section. If I reselect and repaste a number of times, sooner or later it will work and the markers will shuffle along with the audio/midi regions as they are supposed to, but for no good reason as I am doing nothing different on these subsequent attempts. I have an HD system and a person I know with LE is having the same problem. We are both using 7.2, but I have had this problem for awhile on earlier versions. I do a lot of pre-production with bands/writers so I need to be able to quickly recut a song, often very radically, and this is making it extremely tedious. I am in the middle of one of these projects right now. Any ideas what the solution could be? A fix will save me a lot of time. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: > Shuffle Mode and Markers

Give this a try...

1. Choose your Edit mode (I noticed you are using Shuffle which is fine)
2. Option/Alt-drag across the timeline (using Option/Alt. will make sure that all Conductor rulers are selected as well.
3. Do an Edit command (e.g. Cut, Delete, etc.)
4. Option/Alt-click in the Timeline to place the cursor across all the Time and Conductor rulers
5. Do an Edit command (e.g. Paste)

Using this method the Markers should always move with everything else, as they are part of the Conductor rulers. I hope this saves you some time...if it doesn't hit the spot, let me know.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 12-26-2006, 11:46 AM

Scott

Thanks for the suggestion, while it does work to some degree, the suggested method also brings a few challenges. First of all having to drag across the timeline acurately can be difficult when trying to grab a very precise region length. Instead I would rather zoom in close, place my cursor at the start point, and then zoom out and zoom back in near the end point, to then shift click the end point of the region segment in question selecting everything between. I then can easily shift click on the conductor tracks to include. Option/Alt Click does not seem to support the Shift modifer, so while your suggestion is useful for big picture rough stuff, it does not work great when there is need for precision.

All along I have been sure to select all the tracks, including all the Conductor tracks, but still the behavor of the shuffle mode and markers is inconsistent. Also, tempo change tracks are problematic in the same way. . . for instance if i have a ritard at the end of the song and I cut out 8 bars in the middle I would expect the programmed tempo changes to be 8 bars earlier. Often in my system the tempo change is not affected by the shuffle mode edit, just like the markers.

New PT v7.2 sessions with low track counts always work fine, but sessions with large track counts brought forward from 6.x have the problem (I am not 100% sure if it is the high track count or earlier ProTools version sessions). Since even my recent work was started with sessions from 6.x as templates I have a lot of history with this problem, if it is indeed related to this legacy.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Give this a try...

1. Choose your Edit mode (I noticed you are using Shuffle which is fine)
2. Option/Alt-drag across the timeline (using Option/Alt. will make sure that all Conductor rulers are selected as well.
3. Do an Edit command (e.g. Cut, Delete, etc.)
4. Option/Alt-click in the Timeline to place the cursor across all the Time and Conductor rulers
5. Do an Edit command (e.g. Paste)

In Shuffle mode, you can only get as far as Step 3 -- when you cut or delete your selection, everything downstream jumps upstream to close the gap. Except, as Howard is saying, the markers. As Howard and I seem to be in a fairly small club of Shuffle fans, we probably shouldn't expect much in the way of Shuffle-related bug fixes. But fixing this one would be nice.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:01 PM

I just spoke to a couple of other producers I know and they are both having the same problem with ProTools when editing in shuffle mode with Markers. . . They are back on v6.4. Seems we have a bug here. . . I remember this aspect working perfectly back with PT 5.x. I am not sure what causes it to break. . . I did some testing with new small sessions, with just a few tracks, and shuffle edits (inserting or cutting regions across all tracks) works fine. . . not so on my real projects. Hmmm. . .
Old 10-22-2019, 05:09 PM

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...s-in-pro-tools