Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-03-2018, 09:57 PM

Default FX only on select clips

When mixing dialogue for TV, how do you setup your fx routing?

For instance, I have several characters. Each has their own track. Every line of dialogue is separated as its own clip, such that each track has dozens of clips.

That’s all well and good. But when I want a reverb or delay ONLY on certain clips, what is a recommended way of setting that up? Ive tried these 2 methods, but I feel like they’re inefficient.

1. Apply a plugin directly to the track. Automate the MASTER BYPASS of the plugin and leave it enabled only on the clip.
2. Create and AUX track. Apply the plugin to the aux track. Go back to the dialogue track and create a send (to the aux). Automate the send and leave it enabled only on the clips. Automating the send is pretty annoying though.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:35 AM

Default Re: FX only on select clips

I use alternative 2 usually. Automation in a mix is normal for me.

If the FX and amount of such are static, you could create separate audio tracks, and move the clips there.

John
John FX
Sue
Sue FX
Old 11-04-2018, 01:09 AM

Default FX only on select clips

Me too, I always use a aux and a send (usually rather two, because I use 2 reverbs especially when your character moves from one space to another); I automate the mute or level of this send (on the track - or tracks - that I want to deal with at particular timecode). I must add that personaly, the send are always to +/-0dB and playing with the retour level (aux level) and only the send mute.

And also always have one (or more) track with a specific fx (or more extreme), on which I move the clips that I want to be processed.
MAC Pro "Trash can" - Pro Tools HDX + Ultimate 2021.12/Avid C|24/S3/ProTools|Dock. Blackmagic.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:03 AM

Default Re: FX only on select clips

I also usually use the automated send. My alt option is to have an effects track and simply drag the clip for the original track to the effected track.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave