Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2001, 02:49 PM

Default new g4s 733 dvd any problems

new to the duc so i may have asked twice (sorry) .Am thinking of upgrading from 9600 to the 733 g4 due to the 4 slots etc,
has anyone had any problems and does the writable dvd represent a workable backup format ,im sure others are thinking along the same lines .
Have been using a mix+,2 mix farms,glyph drives atto formated scussi card etc
cheers!!!
Old 03-21-2001, 04:15 PM

Default Re: new g4s 733 dvd any problems

The DVD BackUp sounds like a good idea but I don't know if you can use it as such. I just got the G4/766 and even though it's fast and has that xtra PCI slot, I don't know if it's worth it. You might try to wait. I'm hearing clock noise off the speaker out of this new G4. I hook it directly into my board so it's really easy to hear. On my old G4 I don't have this problem. oh well. Anybody know about a using this DVD as a back up?
Old 03-21-2001, 04:39 PM

thanks for the reply lupe....and there was me getting all exited !!
out of intrest how are you hooking it up to the board to hear the clock noise?
Old 03-21-2001, 09:28 PM

Morgan, I think were going to be happy to find out that the new G4's are going to be better for a lot of reasons. Turns out that the guys over at Mac finally listened and got rid of that pesky little chip that was causing all the bus bottlenecks. Digi switched to the ATTO scsi card and you couldn't run two monitors because of that chip. Also, The pioneer DVD burner is really the only one on the market right now. To buy it as an external scsi drive it's $4200.00 . It's kinda like getting the MAC for free. Plus the PCI bus speed is much higher and that extra slot makes a huge difference for expansion. I wouldn't worry about clock noise unless you have to use the built in sound card for some reason.
Old 03-22-2001, 01:45 AM

thanks shawn that makes me feel a lot better,i wasnt aware of the higher pci bus speed ,and i suppose the dvd will work eventually.could you elaborate on the duel monitor thing ,are you saying we will be able to run two monitors wheras we couldnt before?
Old 03-22-2001, 01:59 PM

I'm using, as Shawn mentioned, the sound card (speaker) on the G4. (I use this audition sounds with SoundApp) I just have a miniplug go to two inputs of my mackie. It's nothing fancy (that's why I like it).I try to stay away from software solutions if I can go to a simple hardware solution. I've never liked using Digi's Sound driver Panel. I find it be annoying in it's lack of flexability. It's badly designed (like no volume control). Shawn's right about the buss speed. It's definetly faster. I've been able to capture video in adobe while capturing audio in pro tools in the background. Wasn't able to do that before with old G4.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:06 PM

I just bought the new G4/733 with the DVD-R and I can't for the life of me figure out if I can burn data on it. They have the iDVD program but thats for video. I will be seriously ticked if I can't burn data. Anyone with any ideas?

Jason
Old 03-23-2001, 07:38 PM

Morgan, It was and still is possible to run dual monitors. But lots of studios ran 3 monitors and you used to be able to do it with run of the mill cards. Now the only Digi approved card is the jeronimo for around $900.00. We will probably be able to use the cheap cards again. As far as archiving data on the new DVD recorder: You may have to buy the DVD Studio Pro software. It allows for expanded use of the DVD recorder.