Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 08:22 PM

Default copy protection BS

Let me start by saying and reminding everyone how vocal I am/have been about the need for copy protection and I have been most vocal about [k] versions and other piracy related issues...

With that said, let me rant a moment to the developers who refuse to move their product(s) to iLok protection...

Specifically:

Spectrasonics
Synthogy
Audio Ease
IK Multimedia
Native Instruments
fXpansion

You guys owe me about an hour tonight (again).

OK, fXpansion is off the hook because their protection scheme transfers on a machine migration using apple setup assistant (it's not tied to the logicboard). The weak protection scheme didn't slow me down on a new machine.

Spectrasonics is the 2nd least offensive of the bunch, since they'll give you an unlimited number of auths - but you still have to auth each time, re-type into their website, etc... give yourself 10 minutes per plug.

the rest - I had to send emails with explanation of my new machine... with lots of serial numbers and data from their installers.

In all, I can't use the other plugs until they respond to me. Kinda tough on a sunday night. Of course, I have a 4 day grace period...

Now, on the other hand, kudos to all the companies that have embraced iLok. My iLok plugged in and all my other plugs are ready. No issues.

I spent about 64 minutes to auth the 3 spectrasonics plugs, generate codes and send emails to NI, AudioEase, and Synthogy. I decided to not use IK plugs for now so I'll double-cross that bridge another time. This does not count the time I will spend putting in the response codes when they send them to me.

OF COURSE copy protection is a necesarry evil... but there is a solution that allows professionals to take their assets with them -- not machine specific. I request each company explain why they prefer to not use iLok. If it's about money, offer me the opportunity to pay a premium for an iLok auth -- I may pay your expenses for the privilege. Not to mention - if you are allowing unlimited auths, why not only allow 1 auth - the auth on the iLok?

I know I am not the only one who feels like this... I'm just the guy who had to get a new machine today and be ready for a session tomorrow.

</end rant>
Old 07-17-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: copy protection BS

For what it's worth, Altiverb 5 from AudioEase is ilok authorized now.

You didn't mention them, but Antares is now authorizing AutoTune with ilok now too. The rest of their products are soon to be migrated over, according to their tech support.

I agree with you. They should all go to it.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:39 PM

Jeremy I feel your pain
I transfered everything to a new G5 3 weeks ago, the iLok was GREAT !! But everything else was just a nightmare, You forgot to mention Synchro Arts Vocalign, no iLok for that, when I contacted them they said their customers didn't request iLok as an authorization method so they are not doing it. It took me about 4 days to get everything as it was waiting on all the email replies.
I must say that IK Multimedia was the fastest and most gracious with their authorization policy. I would say that NI is the BIGGEST pain.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:42 PM

>> You didn't mention them, but Antares is now authorizing AutoTune with ilok now too

Yes, because my AT4 auth is on iLok! Unfortuantely (or fortunately) this is the only Antares plug I own (or else I would have lumped them in with the others).

I know that Altiverb 5 is an iLok auth - but I will not upgrade to Alti5 until my current project is done.

I'm sure there are many other companies that do not use iLok... time to remind them that some of us will be using a new machine soon, and there is a better way.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I'm sure there are many other companies that do not use iLok... time to remind them that some of us will be using a new machine soon, and there is a better way.
Digidesign is one of them! Why is the MP3 option not iLok'd? Why must I own a MOJO to use the conform functionality in Media Station|PT (effectively making the MOJO a dongle)?

Why won't WAVES participate in zero downtime?

The VocAlign scheme is lame, both in security and in implementation. If you forget to deauth, you need to put TDM cards back in your system to deauth!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:09 PM

Add Coda Music (Finale) to the list... and Coda requires that I call them during business hours. Like I don't have enough to do when migrating to a new machine.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:32 PM

grace period? baloney.... Altiverb will crash protools if I try to load any session with an unauthorized alti4 installed. Until AudioEase responds to email, I can not open these files. I could make a new file, import session data, etc...

Disk protection sucks. Period. I challenge any professional to argue this. So if nobody is for it, why is it still in use?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:45 AM

Antares, have all their products on iLok bundled as Production Suite, which is a very nice move. I already got that.
NI, yeah that´s true: I own 7 seperate NI products, if You do not own the Komplete bundle, than authorizing is pita. No doubt NI have really nice products, but authorizing s*x. Btw iLok protection would increase their sales, or at least make their clients feel better that have paid for their stuff...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:17 AM

FYI, Audio Ease responded within 6 hours of my request. This is good customer service. (But in my opinion, mandatory, for disk authorizations).
Synthogy responded by 10:30am the next day.
Coda/Make Music gave me a new auth after a phone call during business hours - wait time about 5 minutes

Time to get some work done with my new, powerful, everything finally working, machine.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:55 AM
FXpansion Audio

Quote:

OK, fXpansion is off the hook because their protection scheme transfers on a machine migration using apple setup assistant (it's not tied to the logicboard). The weak protection scheme didn't slow me down on a new machine.

Weak..? Have you tried downloading 9 Gigabytes of data illegaly?